Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing round eve vents

I am thinking of improving the air circulation in my attic by installing some
of the round eve vents. I can figure out how to install them, drill a hole the
right size and push them in,but how do I make them stay there? My experience
with things I just push in is not very great. They have a tendency to fall
out.

The ones I looked at at Lowes are just round plugs, with nothing to hold
them in except friction. Do they make any that have something to hold them?

Thanks
Bill Gill
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BillGill" wrote in message
I am thinking of improving the air circulation in my attic by installing
some
of the round eve vents. I can figure out how to install them, drill a
hole the
right size and push them in,but how do I make them stay there? My
experience
with things I just push in is not very great. They have a tendency to
fall
out.

The ones I looked at at Lowes are just round plugs, with nothing to hold
them in except friction. Do they make any that have something to hold
them?

Thanks
Bill Gill

Acme Anti-Gravity Glue. Saw it in a Roadrunner cartoon.

Actually, I don't know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BillGill wrote:
I am thinking of improving the air circulation in my attic by installing
some
of the round eve vents. I can figure out how to install them, drill a
hole the
right size and push them in,but how do I make them stay there? My
experience
with things I just push in is not very great. They have a tendency to fall
out.

The ones I looked at at Lowes are just round plugs, with nothing to hold
them in except friction. Do they make any that have something to hold
them?

Not familiar with the ones at Lowes, but the ones I used as a kid had a
slotted edge, with fingers that spread back out once you pushed it
through the hole. Kinda like a giant version of the plug you use on an
extra hole in a kitchen sink, except with screen in the middle, of
course. I suspect the Lowes ones operate on a similar principle. You do
have to use the correct size bit and make sure to hold it square and not
let it wander around- the hole needs to be 'crisp'. They can't make them
too complicated, or the price would be so high people wouldn't buy them.
Back in the old days, they came in a 100-count box, any color you
wanted, as long as it was mill finish.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 4/5/2008 10:30 AM BillGill said the following:
I am thinking of improving the air circulation in my attic by
installing some
of the round eve vents. I can figure out how to install them, drill a
hole the
right size and push them in,but how do I make them stay there? My
experience
with things I just push in is not very great. They have a tendency to
fall
out.

The ones I looked at at Lowes are just round plugs, with nothing to hold
them in except friction. Do they make any that have something to hold
them?

Thanks
Bill Gill

What type of eaves do you have? Are there soffits under the eves, or is
the facia right against the house?
If you have soffits, is there any reason not to use the rectangular
ones? They have more vent area and have pre-drilled holes in the flanges
to screw them in.

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 10:30 am, BillGill wrote:
I am thinking of improving the air circulation in my attic by installing some
of the round eve vents. I can figure out how to install them, drill a hole the
right size and push them in,but how do I make them stay there? My experience
with things I just push in is not very great. They have a tendency to fall
out.

The ones I looked at at Lowes are just round plugs, with nothing to hold
them in except friction. Do they make any that have something to hold them?

They usually stay in all by themselves, but you can use latex caulk to
hold them in place if it makes you feel better. As another noted,
they don't have a lot of free air area. You might want to look at
cutting a slot with a circular saw and installing the 2" aluminum
strip vents.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 10:17*am, willshak wrote:
[...]

To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

If they don't have any retaining ridges around the sides, I'd probably
find some that do. Alternatively, a dab of caulk before it's
inserted would work.

I'd also consider using other methods. With a small battery powered
circular type saw, you could quickly make two runs down the whole
side, open up a couple inch wide channel and insert that type vent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

BillGill wrote:
I am thinking of improving the air circulation in my attic by
installing some of the round eve vents. I can figure out how to
install them, drill a hole the right size and push them in,but how do
I make them stay there? My experience with things I just push in is
not very great. They have a tendency to fall out.

The ones I looked at at Lowes are just round plugs, with nothing to
hold them in except friction. Do they make any that have something to
hold them?

Are you sure you want to do this?

They have very little area and what there is is partially consumed by
screening.

One rectangular vent would offer as much ventilation as twenty of those
round jobbers - and with considerably less effort.