Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garbage disposal replacement

I need to put in a new garbage disposal. I know I will need to turn
power off for the kitchen area.
Do I also need to turn off the water? Also what kind of silicone will
I need when I hook up the new disposal?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

Follow the directions that come with the unit. They may not be
complete (like the electrical part) but do read them, changes are that
will answer most all your questions.

Most company's web sites will let you download the instructions so you can
review them before you start. Not a difficult job and no silicone needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you replace the adaptor in the bottom of the sink (you don't have to if
going back with the same brand) then you'll need some plumbers putty for
under the rim of the adaptor.

wrote in message
I need to put in a new garbage disposal. I know I will need to turn
power off for the kitchen area.
Do I also need to turn off the water? Also what kind of silicone will
I need when I hook up the new disposal?

Posted to alt.home.repair

many disposals just plug into the wall under the sink. just unplug the
disposer-no need to turn off power.

do not get a cheap disposer. just one plumbing call can easily pay for the
extra cost of a good disposer.

spoken from experience.
wrote in message
I need to put in a new garbage disposal. I know I will need to turn
power off for the kitchen area.
Do I also need to turn off the water? Also what kind of silicone will
I need when I hook up the new disposal?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 09:01:52 -0500, "S. Barker"
wrote:

Hell there's no need to turn off the power anyway. The durn things are on a
switch. There's no power to them if the switch is off. duh.

What do you think that switch does, if not turning off the power?

wrote in message
I need to put in a new garbage disposal. I know I will need to turn
power off for the kitchen area.
Do I also need to turn off the water? Also what kind of silicone will
I need when I hook up the new disposal?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hell there's no need to turn off the power anyway. The durn things are on
switch. There's no power to them if the switch is off. duh.

What do you think that switch does, if not turning off the power?

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

echo

echo

echo

Do you have a tester? You can buy one at the Dollar Store for a dollar. On
your disposal, do you have to crawl under the counter to turn it on? I
didn't think so. The power is at the switch on the counter. From there, it
either goes to the disposal or not.

PS: It is easier to change a disposal if you unplug it from the receptacle
under the sink. I just thought if you were stupid enough not to know the
power is set by the countertop switch that you would have trouble trying to
pull it out with it still plugged in.

Hope this helps, but I really doubt it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

..
don't forget...your spouse could happen-by...
and turn the switch to ON

[either accidentally...or on purpose]

waterboy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 13:07:02 -0700 (PDT), WaterBoy
wrote:

.
don't forget...your spouse could happen-by...
and turn the switch to ON

[either accidentally...or on purpose]

waterboy

I just post an Out of Bounds sign.

Similar to CAUTION - WET FLOOR!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"S. Barker" wrote in message
Hell there's no need to turn off the power anyway. The durn things are on
a switch. There's no power to them if the switch is off. duh.

Unless it is a batch feed model and has no external switch.

garbage disposal Dottie Home Repair 7 March 31st 08 11:21 PM
Replacement Badger 1 Garbage Disposal [email protected] Home Repair 2 May 31st 06 04:54 AM
Garbage Disposal Replacement [email protected] Home Ownership 24 February 5th 05 07:15 PM
Garbage disposal KRusso6984 Home Repair 7 February 14th 04 07:16 PM
garbage disposal badgolferman Home Repair 1 August 31st 03 06:41 AM