Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gas water heater control valve question

I just got a new control valve for my Kenmore gas water heater, and it
came with a plastic sleeve over the thermostat sensor element (the
copper rod that extends into the tank). Does that sleeve serve a
function or should it be removed before installing the control valve?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 2, 12:18*pm, brownie wrote:
I just got a new control valve for my Kenmore gas water heater, and it
came with a plastic sleeve over the thermostat sensor element (the
copper rod that extends into the tank). *Does that sleeve serve a
function or should it be removed before installing the control valve?

Thanks

Didn't it come with instructions? If not call Sears and complain.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"...Didn't it come with instructions? If not call Sears and
complain...Joe"

Well, it did come with instructions, which did not address my issue.
And I did call Sears and was told they did not offer technical
assistance over the phone. I then posted the question on their
website, and got no response. So I'm hoping someone else will have
the answer. It really is a very simple question, I don't know why I'm
getting such a run-around.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 12:59�am, brownie wrote:
"...Didn't it come with instructions? If not call Sears and
complain...Joe"

Well, it did come with instructions, which did not address my issue.
And I did call Sears and was told they did not offer technical
assistance over the phone. � I then posted the question on their
website, and got no response. � So I'm hoping someone else will have
the answer. �It really is a very simple question, I don't know why I'm
getting such a run-around.

Bill

oddly enough i had this same question perhaps 4 years ago. my brand
new hot water tank got written up by a home inspector claiming carbon
monoxide

The tank maker sent me a new control valve, with that plastic coating.

i was required to have a registered plumber install the new valve.

but i dont remember what the plumber did, it was a very busy time.

why not remove the old valve, and see what the manufacturer did.

if the plastic is on there leave it on...............

no plastic on old valve remove it

i believe you will find no plastic but dont depend on me
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Apr 4, 1:59*am, brownie wrote:
"...Didn't it come with instructions? If not call Sears and
complain...Joe"

Well, it did come with instructions, which did not address my issue.
And I did call Sears and was told they did not offer technical
assistance over the phone. * I then posted the question on their
website, and got no response. * So I'm hoping someone else will have
the answer. *It really is a very simple question, I don't know why I'm
getting such a run-around.

Bill

sadly, even if the folks at sears told you something, it's about a
50/50 chance it would be correct.

Posted to alt.home.repair

why not remove the old valve, and see what the manufacturer did.

if the plastic is on there leave it on...............

no plastic on old valve remove it

Excellent idea. I just removed the old one, and lo, it had what
appears to have once been a plastic sleeve on it. I installed the new
one with the sleeve. Thanks.

--Bill