Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Right-angle drills

I looked online at Milwaukee and Dewalt and was surpsrised the the
specs didn't show the distance from the tip of the chuck to the back
of the drill.

I stopped at Lowes last night and measured the Milwaukee and it is
about 5 1/2" with the chuck jaws fully retracted to the back of the
angle. Not nearly as small as I would like, anybody make one that can
get into tighter spots?

I need a 'real' drill not some right angle screwdriver from B&D since
I will be using this to drill into concrete. Yeah I know an impact
drill should be used but those things are gigantic.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
I looked online at Milwaukee and Dewalt and was surpsrised the the
specs didn't show the distance from the tip of the chuck to the back
of the drill.

I stopped at Lowes last night and measured the Milwaukee and it is
about 5 1/2" with the chuck jaws fully retracted to the back of the
angle. Not nearly as small as I would like, anybody make one that can
get into tighter spots?

I need a 'real' drill not some right angle screwdriver from B&D since
I will be using this to drill into concrete. Yeah I know an impact
drill should be used but those things are gigantic.

I have a Dewalt right angle drill that is more than screwdriver, but it is
battery powered and is not an impact tool. IIRC, Milwaukee has a corded
right angle drill that is a drill, but again it is not an impact tool. I
suspect you may have a problem. The big box stores are not a good place to
look for unusual tools. I'm sure you must have googled right angle drills by
now.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
I looked online at Milwaukee and Dewalt and was surpsrised the the
specs didn't show the distance from the tip of the chuck to the back
of the drill.

I stopped at Lowes last night and measured the Milwaukee and it is
about 5 1/2" with the chuck jaws fully retracted to the back of the
angle. Not nearly as small as I would like, anybody make one that can
get into tighter spots?

I need a 'real' drill not some right angle screwdriver from B&D since
I will be using this to drill into concrete. Yeah I know an impact
drill should be used but those things are gigantic.

snip

Your in luck. Google had this site at the top of the list.
http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=512774

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

I have both of the following... We bought the hammer drill after the hole
hawg (right angle) We started using the Right angle to drill into a concrete
slab, but it was not cutting it. Too low of torque or something, we switched
to another Milwaukee corded drill.

When we wanted to add stairs and needed to bolt anchored to the concrete I
bought the Bosch Hammer Drill. Talk about belting the concrete like
butter... Its a world of Difference... Though make sure you get the Hammer
Drill bits... we just used it with some cheap bit and it tore it up...

The Bosch Hammer Drill is not a monster like the big boy rotary hammer
drills. Its pretty much the size of a normal corded drill.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Milwaukee Hole Hawg, though its not made to
drill concrete. We use it mostly with Self-fed bits for boring holes in
studs, top plates, etc. Its great also for mixing concrete, grout, drywall
texture, etc...

Bosch 1/2" Dual Torque Hammer Drill
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1199VSRK.../dp/B0001408SE

Milwaukee Hole Hawg
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-3107.../dp/B0000223HJ

Scott-

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
I looked online at Milwaukee and Dewalt and was surpsrised the the
specs didn't show the distance from the tip of the chuck to the back
of the drill.

I stopped at Lowes last night and measured the Milwaukee and it is
about 5 1/2" with the chuck jaws fully retracted to the back of the
angle. Not nearly as small as I would like, anybody make one that can
get into tighter spots?

I need a 'real' drill not some right angle screwdriver from B&D since
I will be using this to drill into concrete. Yeah I know an impact
drill should be used but those things are gigantic.

snip

Your in luck. Google had this site at the top of the list.
http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=512774

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

I have a Bosch 1132VSR right angle corded drill. It is about 3" from the tip
of the chuck to the back of the housing with much of the chuck recessed into
the metal housing. It would be hard to find any other with smaller
measurements.

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
I looked online at Milwaukee and Dewalt and was surpsrised the the
specs didn't show the distance from the tip of the chuck to the back
of the drill.

I stopped at Lowes last night and measured the Milwaukee and it is
about 5 1/2" with the chuck jaws fully retracted to the back of the
angle. Not nearly as small as I would like, anybody make one that can
get into tighter spots?

I need a 'real' drill not some right angle screwdriver from B&D since
I will be using this to drill into concrete. Yeah I know an impact
drill should be used but those things are gigantic.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article , [email protected]
SPAMplease.enm.com says...
Don't get me wrong, I love the Milwaukee Hole Hawg, though its not made to
drill concrete. We use it mostly with Self-fed bits for boring holes in
studs, top plates, etc. Its great also for mixing concrete, grout, drywall
texture, etc...

Bosch 1/2" Dual Torque Hammer Drill
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1199VSRK.../dp/B0001408SE

Milwaukee Hole Hawg
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-3107.../dp/B0000223HJ

Scott-

I'd go with this over the Bosch:
http://www.amazon.com/Metabo-SBE750-...3M/ref=sr_1_1?
ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1206803719&sr=1-1

Metabo tend to be more reliable and consistent with their hammer drills in my
experience. I've managed to wear a couple out, but it's taken me 20-30 years in
both cases. And I used to drill plenty of concrete with them.

-P.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Lowell Holmes wrote:

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
[...]

Hilti TE5 right angle rotary hammer - not cheap, but can't beat it with
a stick. May be able to rent one.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Mar 29, 8:07 am, Limp Arbor wrote:
I looked online at Milwaukee and Dewalt and was surpsrised the the
specs didn't show the distance from the tip of the chuck to the back
of the drill.

I stopped at Lowes last night and measured the Milwaukee and it is
about 5 1/2" with the chuck jaws fully retracted to the back of the
angle. Not nearly as small as I would like, anybody make one that can
get into tighter spots?

I need a 'real' drill not some right angle screwdriver from B&D since
I will be using this to drill into concrete. Yeah I know an impact
drill should be used but those things are gigantic.

I have the Milwaukee and it has plenty of power. Just be advised, you
MUST unplug this drill before inserting or changing bits. The trigger
mechanism is very easy to push while you crank the chuck key to
tighten the chuck. Result: the motor starts and the key comes around
and gets caught under the plastic housing. Besides being dangerous,
it's a pain to get the key unstuck. Of course this did not happen to
me, someone told me.

Rocky
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Mar 29, 11:17*am, "EXT" wrote:
I have a Bosch 1132VSR right angle corded drill. It is about 3" from the tip
of the chuck to the back of the housing with much of the chuck recessed into
the metal housing. It would be hard to find any other with smaller
measurements.

So close. I should have mentioned I'm drilling 1/2 holes in
lightweight concrete, so I need a 1/2 chuck. Stopped at the local
rental place they had what looked like a PC (no lables) and it was
about 6" from chuck face to back. The Hilti's were all monsters.

I figure I will spend more on bits than anything else in this
project. I will have to go about 5" deep so I will probably need
three different length bits since I can only go ~1 1/2" deep at a time
with the Milwaukee. I *only* need to drill about 10 holes this way so
if it takes a long time and burns up a bit or two I can deal with it.
I'm just surprised that the MW r-angle drill is so big and nobody
seems to make a smaller one.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Mar 30, 4:28*pm, Rocky wrote:

I have the Milwaukee and it has plenty of power. *Just be advised, you
MUST unplug this drill before inserting or changing bits. *The trigger
mechanism is very easy to push while you crank the chuck key to
tighten the chuck. *Result: *the motor starts and the key comes around
and gets caught under the plastic housing. *Besides being dangerous,
it's a pain to get the key unstuck. Of course this did not happen to
me, someone told me.

Rocky

Yeah, I also 'know a guy' who wrapped the cord around his arm when
changing a drill bit. Now that guy has all the chuck keys attached to
the cord near the plug...
http://tooltray.com/ViewProduct.asp?i=159069

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Limp Arbor" wrote

Yeah, I also 'know a guy' who wrapped the cord around his arm when
changing a drill bit. Now that guy has all the chuck keys attached to
the cord near the plug...
http://tooltray.com/ViewProduct.asp?i=159069

I duct tape the chuck keyholder near the plug. Sometimes the sliding holder
can cause a big surprise otherwise.

I had a friend who used to do some irritating things in the shop. One of
the tihings he did was to duct tape the chuck key holder the exact distance
from the drill that it would hang up on the bench top and prevent you from
using it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Limp Arbor wrote:
On Mar 29, 11:17 am, "EXT" wrote:
I have a Bosch 1132VSR right angle corded drill. It is about 3"
from
the tip of the chuck to the back of the housing with much of the
chuck recessed into the metal housing. It would be hard to find any
other with smaller measurements.

So close. I should have mentioned I'm drilling 1/2 holes in
lightweight concrete, so I need a 1/2 chuck.

No, you don't. Get reduced shank bits. Mcmaster has them with
drilling depths as low as 2 inches (look at the hex shank hammer bits
for that length with a 3/8 shank).

Stopped at the local
rental place they had what looked like a PC (no lables) and it was
about 6" from chuck face to back. The Hilti's were all monsters.

I figure I will spend more on bits than anything else in this
project. I will have to go about 5" deep so I will probably need
three different length bits since I can only go ~1 1/2" deep at a
time
with the Milwaukee. I *only* need to drill about 10 holes this way
so
if it takes a long time and burns up a bit or two I can deal with
it.
I'm just surprised that the MW r-angle drill is so big and nobody
seems to make a smaller one.

If you go with a 3/8 drill you can get a lower profile. Half inch
angle drills are designed for torque, not compactness. Also, take a
look at air drills.

If you're working in a confined space with an angle drill then you
might want to consider drilling undersized then reboring with larger
bits--if you can't get any force behind it a half inch masonry bit in
a non-hammer drill is going to be very slow going.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Mar 29, 8:07 am, Limp Arbor wrote:
I looked online at Milwaukee and Dewalt and was surpsrised the the
specs didn't show the distance from the tip of the chuck to the back
of the drill.

I stopped at Lowes last night and measured the Milwaukee and it is
about 5 1/2" with the chuck jaws fully retracted to the back of the
angle. Not nearly as small as I would like, anybody make one that can
get into tighter spots?

I need a 'real' drill not some right angle screwdriver from B&D since
I will be using this to drill into concrete. Yeah I know an impact
drill should be used but those things are gigantic.

Makita DA3000R

This is a real 3/8" variable speed right angle drill that is 3-1/2"
from the chuck tip to the back of the drill. I have one and it works
great.

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...et&tag=DA3000R