Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moles! Traps are banned :(

Mole traps are banned in my state (WA).

I tried mole baits, sulphur dioxide smoke bomb to no avail. What should I
try next?

Is there a way to detect where the mole is under the lawn?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 2:43 pm, "peter" wrote:
Mole traps are banned in my state (WA).

I tried mole baits, sulphur dioxide smoke bomb to no avail. What should I
try next?

There are only two practical methods to get rid of moles: kill what
they eat, or get an animal that likes to hunt and kill them.

Period.

Is there a way to detect where the mole is under the lawn?

You can often see the earth moving above them, and stab in a shovel
and flip them out. Ineffective for population control unless you have
only two, but entertaining, if you're easily entertained.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob kater wrote:
I heard this and have been using it. Does it seem to work????? yes.
juicy fruit gum (spearamint) cut in to small pieces and inserted in
the burrows without human touch (I use a knife and tweezers
untouched) works They eat the gum but supposedly cannot digest it and
die.

Gum doesn't work.
http://gardening.wsu.edu/library/lawn001/lawn001.htm

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page39.html

http://www.dumville.org/moles/charron.html "Chewing gum ingested by a mole
will not gunk up his internal works and cause him to explode, despite the
popular notion that it will. No mole in his right mind will eat chewing gum,
especially with the smorgasbord of delights (slugs, ants, grubs) routinely
spread before him. Moles eat insects and invertebrates. They do not eat
chewing gum, Alka-Seltzer, boric acid, soap powder, Drano, steel wool,
ground glass and the like. Moles are nearly blind but they are not stupid. "

http://www.molepro.com/support/commo...products.htm#2 The idea
here is the mole will ingest the gum and choke to death as a result. Not
only have we never seen proof this method works, but one must have serious
doubts as to whether a carnivorous animal will be prone to eating gum. Not
one of the more plausible methods.

http://antiquemommy.typepad.com/anti...fer_that_.html
The chewing gum didn’t work. The moles continue to destroy our yard, except
for now they are doing it with minty fresh breath.

http://extension.missouri.edu/explor...ife/g09440.htm
Unfortunately, there are no "short cuts" or "magic wands" when controlling
moles. Some garden experts, frustrated by lack of knowledge about trapping,
recommend the use of chewing gum inserted in mole burrows. There is no proof
that this is effective and on a trial basis it has proven ineffective.

http://counties.cce.cornell.edu/suff...imal/moles.htm One of
the most common of these surefire remedies has been to place chewing gum in
the burrow. Research has shown that doing so has no effect on moles even if
they eat it.

--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Posted to alt.home.repair

peter wrote:
Mole traps are banned in my state (WA).

I use them here anyway.

--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"peter" wrote:

Mole traps are banned in my state (WA).

I tried mole baits, sulphur dioxide smoke bomb to no avail. What should I
try next?

I think there were a couple of guys using a propane injector recently that
sounded really cool. You inject propane mixed with oxygen into the tunnel and
ignite it. The subsequent shockwave / flame wall apparently wipes the varmits
out.

Unfortunately, if you aren't really careful, the collateral damage can be a
problem.

Ah! Here you go: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=89100065

Posted to alt.home.repair

peter wrote:
Mole traps are banned in my state (WA).

I tried mole baits, sulphur dioxide smoke bomb to no avail. What
should I try next?

Is there a way to detect where the mole is under the lawn?

Can't you call them "rat traps" or "alien invader detection system"?

Calcium Carbide is an anti-molant. Throw some pebbles down the mole-hole.
Add water. This forms acetylene gas.

Wait.

Throw match down the mole-hole.

Instant Holy Moleys.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mole traps are banned!? Now just WHO is enforcing this in your backyard?

that's almost the most rediculous thing i've ever heard.

But as far as the moles are concerned, get rid of the grub worms and the
moles will move on. Treat the lawn for grubs.

"peter" wrote in message news:N%aHj.19$lV1.4@trndny06...
Mole traps are banned in my state (WA).

I tried mole baits, sulphur dioxide smoke bomb to no avail. What should I
try next?

Is there a way to detect where the mole is under the lawn?

Posted to alt.home.repair

S. Barker wrote:
Mole traps are banned!? Now just WHO is enforcing this in your
backyard?
that's almost the most rediculous thing i've ever heard.

Washington State's Puget Sound Metropolitan Area: "Giving San Francisco a
run for the title of 'LeftTard Capital of the West Coast' since 1968".

--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anyone tried passing electric current into the soil via metal rods? I wonder
how much current I can pass into the soil before the grass starts to die.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 2:43*pm, "peter" wrote:
Mole traps are banned in my state (WA).

I tried mole baits, sulphur dioxide smoke bomb to no avail. What should I
try next?

Is there a way to detect where the mole is under the lawn?

Go to Northern Tool dot com and type in "Solar Moler." I have 3 in my
yard & have not had moles in a year. Read the reviews caretully as
some people did not have any luck. For me they are great!

Posted to alt.home.repair

if traps are banned,i guess youll have to live with the moles.my
neighbor runs an engine exhuast into the tunnells and runs for hours, i
just trap them.... what happened in wa to get traps banned, ??? a love
of the moles or a terrible human tragedy caused by mole trap??

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin
Franklin

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a mole problem. They were producing these snake-like mounds all
over my lawn. I applied a grub killer for lawns, just once. It
killed the grubs, and the moles left because they had no food. That
was 8 years ago, and havn't seen a mole since.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Kay Kay is offline

replying to peter, Kay wrote:
I have tried every single remedy mentioned here and only one worked and worked
for years. That remedy is Milky Spore. Critters had pretty much killed all
of my hosta and destroyed out lawn when by chance someone mentioned that Milky
Spore will kill their food and then they will move on. It's been about six
years and now I am seeing evidence of their return. I have my Milky Spore
ready.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ed-296589-.htm

moles Si[_2_] UK diy 41 November 30th 07 10:52 AM
Moles! Donna Home Repair 44 May 16th 07 02:04 PM
moles FH Home Repair 20 April 12th 07 01:49 AM
Electrocuting moles Andrew Gabriel UK diy 31 January 14th 07 08:57 AM
Got rid of the d@mn moles...sort of [email protected] Home Repair 4 July 16th 06 07:17 AM