Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Composite Deck

I'm planning on removing the 10x10 treated lumber deck that my builder
added to the house before we bought it with a 12x20 composite deck.
I've done WAY too much reading to know what is best. So now, I'm
asking what is best. I've heard that there have been mildew issues
with some of the Trex materials (which is what Home Depot near our
home carries), so I've tentatively decided to go with Evergrain. What
are your thoughts? I used the Trex Deck Designer and it has 7 posts!
Our current 10x10, only has 3. I got a bid from a fancy deck builder
in Olathe, KS and they want almost $10k, and say that their superior
design only needs 5 posts.

I've also read that you might not want to tie your deck to the house,
because of the peace of mind you get knowing that the holes in your
house aren't leaking.

I know that each product is different, that they each have different
components, requirements, warranties, and building instructions. This
just compounds my confusion and frustration.

I have a friend that works at a local lumber yard that can get me
Evergrain at their contractor rate, this is also why I'm interested in
it. Problem is, there are like 5 different kinds of Evergrain.

HELP!
Brandon
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brandon Riffel wrote:
[...]

Do you live where a permit will be required? A few years ago I went through
the process of drawing up elaborate plans for a new deck only to find that
our decking material of choice was not "sanctioned" by the county. Being a
newer product it had not yet acquired various certificates for fire
resistance.

If you are down to a few choices something like that might narrow the field
for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 10:38*pm, Brandon Riffel wrote:
[...]

Brandon, check out AZEK Deck at www.azek.com. It's cellular pvc, but
reinforced with flax fiber for reduced expansion and contraction. It
repels stains and mildew. They are coming out with a porch product in
April.