Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 2-cycle oil mix ratio question.

I have too many small 2-cycle engines and keeping track of the oil/fuel
mixture ratios in all the different gas tanks is getting to be a chore. I
now have ratios of 25:1, 32:1, 40:1 and 50:1, with factory recommendation of
regular gas for one engine and premium gas for another, so putting the
wrong fuel into the wrong engine is very likely giving enough time. Someone
posted sometime ago that he only use one ratio with one particular type of
oil and never had problems over a long period of time with various 2-cycle
engine. Anyone know what this ratio and type of oil are or would like to
comment? Thanks for reading.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 10:29*pm, " Frank" wrote:
I have too many small 2-cycle engines and keeping track of the oil/fuel
mixture ratios in all the different gas tanks is getting to be a chore. I
now have ratios of 25:1, 32:1, 40:1 and 50:1, with factory recommendation of
regular gas for one engine and premium gas for another, *so putting the
wrong fuel into the wrong engine is very likely giving enough time. Someone
posted sometime ago that he only use one ratio with one particular type of
oil and never had problems over a long period of time with various 2-cycle
engine. Anyone know what this ratio and type of oil are or would like to
comment? Thanks for reading.

It might have been me, I use 32-1 in Lawnboy [ as lawnboy wants] ,
in Echo and Sthil, its harder a bit to start the Echo, but more oil I
know is better for the motor. You might consider a Synthetic like
Mobil 2 Stroke, and will have no issues at with your 32-1 or less
motors since most companies even say 1/2 is good enough with
synthetics, you will be quadrupling protection of the 50-1 motors.
You might find starting the 40 and 50-1 harder since its a richer mix,
but I have not found plug fouling to be an issue, or you can always go
up a plug temp + # by research of Plug Temp #s , some are hotter the
higher the # , some are lower!

I think lowering oil ratio is all a game to appease the EPA
[ California] that 2 strokes are clean since my Evinrude boat motor
was initialy specd at maybe 60-75-1??? {Im guessing without the
manual} and Evinrude backed off after alot of warranty failures. The
EPA wants clean motors, 2 strokes are not, I would not rely on Mnfg
Oil intakes as bearings are bearings, go richer, go Synthetic, it
lubes better. A Synthetic will make a high reving 2 stroke last
longer. I know a lawn guy that has 300+ machines and says life is
doubled with synthetic and 32-1
Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Mar 10, 11:15*pm, ransley wrote:

* * I think lowering oil ratio is all a game to appease the EPA
[ California] that 2 strokes are clean since my Evinrude boat motor
was initialy specd at maybe 60-75-1??? {Im guessing without the
manual}

Mine is 100:1, but I never ran it that lean. I always use 50:1 and
have never had a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Mar 10, 10:29 pm, " Frank" wrote:

It might have been me, I use 32-1 in Lawnboy [ as lawnboy wants] ,
in Echo and Sthil, its harder a bit to start the Echo, but more oil I
know is better for the motor. You might consider a Synthetic like
Mobil 2 Stroke, and will have no issues at with your 32-1 or less
motors since most companies even say 1/2 is good enough with
synthetics, you will be quadrupling protection of the 50-1 motors.
You might find starting the 40 and 50-1 harder since its a richer mix,
but I have not found plug fouling to be an issue, or you can always go
up a plug temp + # by research of Plug Temp #s , some are hotter the
higher the # , some are lower!

Could have been me too since I offered this advice a few days ago. I use
in the Lawnboy, Troybilt string trimmer and Poulan chain saw. Found it
important to use the Lawnboy oil as Quaker State stuff I tried was
gumming up the Lawnboy carburetor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 11:29*pm, " Frank" wrote:
I have too many small 2-cycle engines and keeping track of the oil/fuel
mixture ratios in all the different gas tanks is getting to be a chore. I
now have ratios of 25:1, 32:1, 40:1 and 50:1, with factory recommendation of
regular gas for one engine and premium gas for another, *so putting the
wrong fuel into the wrong engine is very likely giving enough time. Someone
posted sometime ago that he only use one ratio with one particular type of
oil and never had problems over a long period of time with various 2-cycle
engine. Anyone know what this ratio and type of oil are or would like to
comment? Thanks for reading.

Using premium gas in all your tools won't hurt anything, and there is
no such thing as too much oil. One mix, 25:1, 93 octane. Done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 10:13 am, wrote:

Using premium gas in all your tools won't hurt anything, and there is
no such thing as too much oil. One mix, 25:1, 93 octane. Done.

Too much oil causes lower operating temps which
in turn causes excessive carbon buildup, premature wear, and plug
fouling.

1. 2-stroke oil burns hotter than fuel (according to Dirt Bike
Magazine - and they know more about 2-strokes than anybody here).
More oil = more heat.

2. More oil = less fuel = lean burn = more heat.

Double whammy.

25:1 in an engine jetted for 100:1 will kill it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

WRONG, and VERY WRONG!

More misinformation via the fine internet.

wrote in message

Using premium gas in all your tools won't hurt anything, and there is
no such thing as too much oil. One mix, 25:1, 93 octane. Done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ACTUALLY, too much oil causes a lean fuel / air ratio and overheating.

wrote in message

Premium gas in many small engines can cause difficult starting and
runnability problems. Too much oil causes lower operating temps which
in turn causes excessive carbon buildup, premature wear, and plug
fouling.

DONE

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 11:29 pm, " Frank" wrote:
I have too many small 2-cycle engines and keeping track of the oil/fuel
mixture ratios in all the different gas tanks is getting to be a chore. I
now have ratios of 25:1, 32:1, 40:1 and 50:1, with factory recommendation of
regular gas for one engine and premium gas for another, so putting the
wrong fuel into the wrong engine is very likely giving enough time. Someone
posted sometime ago that he only use one ratio with one particular type of
oil and never had problems over a long period of time with various 2-cycle
engine. Anyone know what this ratio and type of oil are or would like to
comment? Thanks for reading.

If it were me, I'd keep a can of 32:1 for the 25, 32, and 40, then
keep a separate can for the 50:1. I used to keep 32:1 around for
everything until I paid $300 for a new Stihl trimmer. It has it's own
can using the 1 bottle to 1 gallon Stihl brand oil.

I've never seen any power equipment with a high enough compression
ratio to need high test fuel. It's more expensive, but you could just
run high test in everything (high test burns slower than low grade,
NOT hotter!). Or go with low grade in everything and keep an ear out
for pinging. Or use midgrade in everything.

If you don't already own a Ratio Rite, go to your local motorcycle
dealer and get one. It's a couple of bucks and takes all the
guesswork out of mixing 2-stroke fuel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I never have any problem with the mix ratio. Just dump in a gallon of oil
and fill the barrel. done.

"The Reverend Natural Light" wrote in message

If you don't already own a Ratio Rite, go to your local motorcycle
dealer and get one. It's a couple of bucks and takes all the
guesswork out of mixing 2-stroke fuel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The best ones are the people who will swear up and down their late model
smog mosheens "run better" on premium.

"HeyBub" wrote in message

But, "premium" gas costs more, so people buy it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for reading.

How much does a 1-gallon plastic fuel can cost? Compare that to the
cost of the OPE you're fueling.

I'd go with a few fuel cans and a magic marker. Just do it right -- it
won't cost all that much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

There isn't a crank case in a two cycle, but thanks for playing along!!

Rich

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
How about 2:1 and really keep the crankcase slippery?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Using premium gas in all your tools won't hurt anything, and there is
no such thing as too much oil. One mix, 25:1, 93 octane. Done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nope, 6 3man crews working 6 days a week. I go through about a barrel every
week. Sure don't have to worry about it getting stale. G

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Let me guess, you have a weed eater that's big enough to take down redwood
trees? And a grass edger that is big enough to make a new Grand Canyon?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"S. Barker" wrote in message
I never have any problem with the mix ratio. Just dump in a gallon of oil
and fill the barrel. done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

OH REALLY? Where do you think the crankshaft lives? And where do you
think the fuel mix goes when it leaves the carb?

steve

"Rich" madeyoulook@localhost wrote in message
g.com...
There isn't a crank case in a two cycle, but thanks for playing along!!

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Barr" wrote in message
et...
Thanks for reading.

How much does a 1-gallon plastic fuel can cost? Compare that to the cost
of the OPE you're fueling.

I'd go with a few fuel cans and a magic marker. Just do it right -- it
won't cost all that much.

What is OPE?

I'm already using four different one gallon cans for the different mixes
plus one 2.5 gallon for regular and one 2.5 gallon for premium. I don't use
the equipment all that much and every few months I dump the old gas out or
else some of the 2-stroke won't run right or needed to tear out the
carburetors. So a one mix fits all would be welcome and much less gas to
dump.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Frank wrote:

I'm already using four different one gallon cans for the different mixes
plus one 2.5 gallon for regular and one 2.5 gallon for premium. I don't use
the equipment all that much and every few months I dump the old gas out or
else some of the 2-stroke won't run right or needed to tear out the
carburetors. So a one mix fits all would be welcome and much less gas to
dump.

But one mix doesn't fit all (well, anyway).

I'd suggest if you don't use something regularly to simply keep fresh
gas and oil and mix fuel when you use it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Put it in the back seat.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Won't that leave oil on the seats, when it dries?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"S. Barker" wrote in message
50:1 is your one mix. And if you have some you think is stale, just dump
it
in your car. It'll never know the difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

personally i put mine on the grassy strip down the middle of my gravel
driveway. Or sometimes in the car. Depends on which is closer at the
time.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

every few months I dump the old gas out

Where?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 7:26 am, " Frank" wrote:
"Robert Barr" wrote in message

et...

Thanks for reading.

How much does a 1-gallon plastic fuel can cost? Compare that to the cost
of the OPE you're fueling.

I'd go with a few fuel cans and a magic marker. Just do it right -- it
won't cost all that much.

What is OPE?

I'm already using four different one gallon cans for the different mixes
plus one 2.5 gallon for regular and one 2.5 gallon for premium. I don't
use
the equipment all that much and every few months I dump the old gas out or
else some of the 2-stroke won't run right or needed to tear out the
carburetors. So a one mix fits all would be welcome and much less gas to
dump.

every few months I dump the old gas out

Where?

In another gas can until its filled than into the 30 year plus Troy-Built
tiller. Where else you suggest it be dumped?

Still wonder what is OPE.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" Frank" wrote:

Still wonder what is OPE.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-quer...=find&string=e
xact
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am likely to late for the orginal poster but I can answer his question
what is OPE : OPE = Outdoor Power Equipment. and while I am unconvinced
about to much oil causing higher operating tempatures I can not dis prove it
.. hpowever if one had a infared tempature reading gun it would be easy to
test. Now on to the other thing
I do know from my years in and around the auto and small engine industry and
that is higher test or grade fuel is harder to ignite ,a good reason not to
put 93 in your car in the winter unless the car is desinged for 93. this
less of a problem since computer and o2 sensors but in the early days of 87
older cars with out computers had to have the timing adjusted to prevent
predetonation; the fuel was more easily ignited and therefore ignition was
occuring to early.

Hope this helps a little or is somewhat enertaining

Jay
. ..

On Mar 12, 7:26 am, " Frank" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:20:01 -0500, "J.D."
wrote:

I am likely to late for the orginal poster but I can answer his question
what is OPE : OPE = Outdoor Power Equipment. and while I am unconvinced
about to much oil causing higher operating tempatures I can not dis prove it
. hpowever if one had a infared tempature reading gun it would be easy to
test. Now on to the other thing
I do know from my years in and around the auto and small engine industry and
that is higher test or grade fuel is harder to ignite ,a good reason not to
put 93 in your car in the winter unless the car is desinged for 93. this
less of a problem since computer and o2 sensors but in the early days of 87
older cars with out computers had to have the timing adjusted to prevent
predetonation; the fuel was more easily ignited and therefore ignition was
occuring to early.

Hope this helps a little or is somewhat enertaining

You do not understand octane and or detonation.

93 does NOT ignite less readily than 87. It is detonation (which is
uncontrolled and un-natural burning) which is the issue, and running
93 NEVER required the timing to be re-adjusted. You COULD advance the
timing on 93 to get more power, in which case running 87 would cause
problems if the timing was not retatded.

Now, on top of that, in 2 stroke engines, oil reduces the octane of
the mixture - and the more oil, the lower the octane - so running
hightest in a two stroke, particularly a high output 2 stroke, IS a
good idea.
Particularly in today's market, where many fuel companies put 10%
ethanol in the legular and none in the hightest, laving the mid-grade
somewhere around 5%. Ethanol and 2 strokes are notan intelligent mix.

Jay