Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default 2-cycle oil mix ratio question.

On Mar 10, 10:29*pm, " Frank" wrote:
I have too many small 2-cycle engines and keeping track of the oil/fuel
mixture ratios in all the different gas tanks is getting to be a chore. I
now have ratios of 25:1, 32:1, 40:1 and 50:1, with factory recommendation of
regular gas for one engine and premium gas for another, *so putting the
wrong fuel into the wrong engine is very likely giving enough time. Someone
posted sometime ago that he only use one ratio with one particular type of
oil and never had problems over a long period of time with various 2-cycle
engine. Anyone know what this ratio and type of oil are or would like to
comment? Thanks for reading.

It might have been me, I use 32-1 in Lawnboy [ as lawnboy wants] ,
in Echo and Sthil, its harder a bit to start the Echo, but more oil I
know is better for the motor. You might consider a Synthetic like
Mobil 2 Stroke, and will have no issues at with your 32-1 or less
motors since most companies even say 1/2 is good enough with
synthetics, you will be quadrupling protection of the 50-1 motors.
You might find starting the 40 and 50-1 harder since its a richer mix,
but I have not found plug fouling to be an issue, or you can always go
up a plug temp + # by research of Plug Temp #s , some are hotter the
higher the # , some are lower!

I think lowering oil ratio is all a game to appease the EPA
[ California] that 2 strokes are clean since my Evinrude boat motor
was initialy specd at maybe 60-75-1??? {Im guessing without the
manual} and Evinrude backed off after alot of warranty failures. The
EPA wants clean motors, 2 strokes are not, I would not rely on Mnfg
Oil intakes as bearings are bearings, go richer, go Synthetic, it
lubes better. A Synthetic will make a high reving 2 stroke last
longer. I know a lawn guy that has 300+ machines and says life is
doubled with synthetic and 32-1