Posted to alt.home.repair

Default metal studs supporting a tv?

I had a fireplace removed and replaced with a framed wall and drywall. The
contractor used metal studs (without my knowledge). I should have asked,
but, I just missed it. I had always intended to put a 52" tv up there.
With the metal studs, however, I'm not sure whether they will support the
weight. I contacted the contractor and he suggested that they can insert
wood into the studs where the tv will be, then lag the tv support into the
studs.

Thinking about what he said got me thinking. His explanation leads me to
believe that he might put in a one foot/two feet at most piece of wood into
the metal stud. My question is will this be enough to support an 80-100
pound tv? Without the wood stud running ceiling to floor, where would the
support come from?

Any thoughts you might have would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

--
edee em
I know the truth is out there but I like to stay in...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"edee_em" wrote in message
[...]

The support comes from the metal studs with sheetrock being screwed to it.
The big problem is screwing the bracket into the studs. The blocking should
work fine

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 3:52 pm, "edee_em" wrote:
[...]

Didn't these questions get answered back in Feb?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...72c23becf4da34

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:52:50 -0500, "edee_em"
wrote:

I had a fireplace removed and replaced with a framed wall and drywall. The
contractor used metal studs (without my knowledge). I should have asked,
but, I just missed it. I had always intended to put a 52" tv up there.
With the metal studs, however, I'm not sure whether they will support the
weight. I contacted the contractor and he suggested that they can insert
wood into the studs where the tv will be, then lag the tv support into the
studs.

Isn't the wall finished on both sides?

Thinking about what he said got me thinking. His explanation leads me to
believe that he might put in a one foot/two feet at most piece of wood into
the metal stud. My question is will this be enough to support an 80-100
pound tv? Without the wood stud running ceiling to floor, where would the
support come from?

Any thoughts you might have would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 6:52*pm, "edee_em" wrote:
[...]

Hi,

I have a 50 inch Panasonic plasma mounted on metal studs above my
fireplace. Your contractor probablly put in metal studs to comply with
code, fire risk near a fire place / chimney.

My mounting bracket is a SANUS VMPL - Tilting Wall mount. My
television is a Panasonic TH-50-(xxxxx) not sure now. But it weighs
about 78 lbs without stand and is a 50 inch plasma (an older model).
Note that the SANUS VMPL mount is not an extenable one.

The instalation was caried out by HARVEY's, a local company. I did
have a piece of plywood for them to stiffen up the mounting, but they
said they did not need it. They just drilled through the metal studs
and mounted the tv on them and also holes in the dry wall. I think
they had like 6 anchors in total. Four holes into metal studs, and two
holes into dry wall only.

The mounting hardware used is TOGGLER, SNAPTOGGLE, TOGGLE Bolts.
Hollow-Wall Heavy Anchors.
http://www.toggler.com/products.html.

The installer did not recomend trying to use a articulated mount
because the TV weight is leavered out and would be too much for the
fasteners and the metal studs.

So far the TV has been up there for about 6 months.

Best, Mike.