Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default metal studs supporting a tv?

"edee_em" wrote in message
I had a fireplace removed and replaced with a framed wall and drywall. The
contractor used metal studs (without my knowledge). I should have asked,
but, I just missed it. I had always intended to put a 52" tv up there.
With the metal studs, however, I'm not sure whether they will support the
weight. I contacted the contractor and he suggested that they can insert
wood into the studs where the tv will be, then lag the tv support into the
studs.

Thinking about what he said got me thinking. His explanation leads me to
believe that he might put in a one foot/two feet at most piece of wood
into the metal stud. My question is will this be enough to support an
80-100 pound tv? Without the wood stud running ceiling to floor, where
would the support come from?

Any thoughts you might have would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

--
edee em
I know the truth is out there but I like to stay in...

The support comes from the metal studs with sheetrock being screwed to it.
The big problem is screwing the bracket into the studs. The blocking should
work fine