Posted to alt.home.repair
edee_em edee_em is offline

Default metal studs supporting a tv?

I had a fireplace removed and replaced with a framed wall and drywall. The
contractor used metal studs (without my knowledge). I should have asked,
but, I just missed it. I had always intended to put a 52" tv up there.
With the metal studs, however, I'm not sure whether they will support the
weight. I contacted the contractor and he suggested that they can insert
wood into the studs where the tv will be, then lag the tv support into the
studs.

Thinking about what he said got me thinking. His explanation leads me to
believe that he might put in a one foot/two feet at most piece of wood into
the metal stud. My question is will this be enough to support an 80-100
pound tv? Without the wood stud running ceiling to floor, where would the
support come from?

Any thoughts you might have would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

--
edee em
I know the truth is out there but I like to stay in...