Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Storage life of Quikrete?

How long does Quikrete (the quick-setting variety, for setting fence
posts), still in unopened bags, last? -- i.e., before it sets simply by
absorption of moisture from the atmosphere. I have some left over from a
project at least 6 months ago; AFAICT (without opening a bag), it's
still OK, but is it really?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 15:54:16 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

How long does Quikrete (the quick-setting variety, for setting fence
posts), still in unopened bags, last? -- i.e., before it sets simply by
absorption of moisture from the atmosphere. I have some left over from a
project at least 6 months ago; AFAICT (without opening a bag), it's
still OK, but is it really?

Perce

I trust an unopened bag over an open one, for 6 months
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 2:54*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
How long does Quikrete (the quick-setting variety, for setting fence
posts), still in unopened bags, last? -- i.e., before it sets simply by
absorption of moisture from the atmosphere. I have some left over from a
project at least 6 months ago; AFAICT (without opening a bag), it's
still OK, but is it really?

Perce

Provided they are not stored in a wet area where they can absorb more
than just the humidity from the air, they should last indefinately.
The worst that humidy should do is form a very thin crust next to the
paper. I have used bags that were several years old and stored in a
garage in Houston without problems. And if you can find a more humid
place than that, I don't want to know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Percival P. Cassidy
wrote:

How long does Quikrete (the quick-setting variety, for setting fence
posts), still in unopened bags, last? -- i.e., before it sets simply by
absorption of moisture from the atmosphere. I have some left over from a
project at least 6 months ago; AFAICT (without opening a bag), it's
still OK, but is it really?

Perce

Should be okay as long as you haven't left it out in the rain/snow and
the mixture is still powdery when you open the bag. The ingredients
don't "degrade." They simply set if they get wet. The bags are fairly
well sealed against normal humidity, but not precipitation.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 17:30:21 -0600, "S. Barker"
wrote:

they will not last indefinately. They will eventually (about a year
usually) absorb enough moisture to become a bag shaped rock.

Yep. Been there, done that. The 80-lb bag-shaped rocks are a
nuisance to throw away, too.