Posted to alt.home.repair

Default re-stain table top

hi, I got a dining table that is in pretty good shape. But the stain
on one area on the tabletop has been damaged by a hot pot. Is there a
product I can get from Home Depot to re-stain the entire table without
doing any stripping first? The existing stain is in good shape, except
for the damaged area.

What tool do I need to do this re-staining on this table?

I got some pictures of the table:
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/DSC03192.JPG
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/DSC03193.JPG

Any tips would be appreciated...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
hi, I got a dining table that is in pretty good shape. But the stain
on one area on the tabletop has been damaged by a hot pot. Is there a
product I can get from Home Depot to re-stain the entire table without
doing any stripping first? The existing stain is in good shape, except
for the damaged area.

What tool do I need to do this re-staining on this table?

I got some pictures of the table:
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/DSC03192.JPG
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/DSC03193.JPG

Any tips would be appreciated...

Rather than Home Depot, you'd find better and more varied products at stores
that specialize in woodworking materials or paints and finishes. Try a
Woodcraft store if you have one.

Stain is absorbed into the wood so there is no free lunch on this. It must
be stripped for the stain to work properly. Trying to do a small area and
blending it tot he rest of the table is a job for a pro or someone with
experience with stains and dyes.

It is also possible the stain is OK, but the top coat only is ruined from
the heat so you may minimize the work a little bit. Of course, to properly
do a repair, you have to know what the finish is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 8:00 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Actually I was thinking of re-staining the entire table, including its
sides and legs. So blending is not a problem.
But if I need to strip the stain or its top coat, then I will just
live with the table as is...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 2, 10:13*pm, " wrote:

snip

. Actually I was thinking of re-staining the entire table, including
its
sides and legs. So blending is not a problem.
But if I need to strip the stain or its top coat, then I will just
live with the table as is...

Doing an entire quality table is best left to experts. Try the yellow
pages for shops that can handle it for you. Not likely you will have
the tools or space and techniques to get the results you want. Of
course, it doesn't matter if it came from Furniture Row's $99
section.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

hi, I got a dining table that is in pretty good shape. But the stain
on one area on the tabletop has been damaged by a hot pot. Is there a
product I can get from Home Depot to re-stain the entire table without
doing any stripping first? The existing stain is in good shape, except
for the damaged area.

What tool do I need to do this re-staining on this table?

I got some pictures of the table:
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/DSC03192.JPG
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/DSC03193.JPG

Any tips would be appreciated...

It appears that the clear finish - varnish or lacquer, probably - is
whitened from the heat. You can't
restain the clear finish, although a tint added to clear finish might
help disguise the whitening but
probably would make matters worse.

I had a spot repair done to a good piece of furniture once, with very
disappointing results. Your
best bet is probably to either strip or sand the finish off the top and
then stain and varnish.

You might be able to get decent results from using very fine steel wool
on the whitened area to see
if you can reduce the white without getting into the wood or removing
stain. It will leave fine scratches,
so you need to go with the grain. Dip steel wool in linseed oil, wipe
dry when done and apply a coat
of furniture wax.

I've seen
tips advising the rubbing of cigarette ashes into white spots; I've
tried that with no apparent change
in the appearance. Good luck, and let us know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
On Mar 2, 10:13 pm, " wrote:

snip

.. Actually I was thinking of re-staining the entire table, including
its
sides and legs. So blending is not a problem.
But if I need to strip the stain or its top coat, then I will just
live with the table as is...

To do the job right, figure it will take you 40+ hours over a period of a
few weeks. Remove the finsih with a stripper, sand smooth, stain, one coat
of diluted polyurethane, second coat full strength, sand, third coat, sand,
four coat. Let cure minimum of two weeks. Sand with wet 400 grit, wet 600
grit, steel wool, pumice, rottenstone, finally wax. It iwll be well worth
the effort for a smooth professional looking finish.

Or you can slap a couple of coats of poly and call it a day. It will look
plastic coated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I ran my fingers over the damaged area and it is rough. So I guess the
heat must have penetrated the clear coat and got to the wood.

Any recommendation? Is sanding and restaining a must now?

Thanks