Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] dchou4u@hotmail.com is offline

Default re-stain table top

On Mar 2, 8:00 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

hi, I got a dining table that is in pretty good shape. But the stain
on one area on the tabletop has been damaged by a hot pot. Is there a
product I can get from Home Depot to re-stain the entire table without
doing any stripping first? The existing stain is in good shape, except
for the damaged area.

What tool do I need to do this re-staining on this table?

I got some pictures of the table:
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/DSC03192.JPG
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/DSC03193.JPG

Any tips would be appreciated...

Rather than Home Depot, you'd find better and more varied products at stores
that specialize in woodworking materials or paints and finishes. Try a
Woodcraft store if you have one.

Stain is absorbed into the wood so there is no free lunch on this. It must
be stripped for the stain to work properly. Trying to do a small area and
blending it tot he rest of the table is a job for a pro or someone with
experience with stains and dyes.

It is also possible the stain is OK, but the top coat only is ruined from
the heat so you may minimize the work a little bit. Of course, to properly
do a repair, you have to know what the finish is.

Actually I was thinking of re-staining the entire table, including its
sides and legs. So blending is not a problem.
But if I need to strip the stain or its top coat, then I will just
live with the table as is...