Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Staining a deck...

So my friends and I just finished putting down the last deck plank
last night.

The deck looks great, but the damn lumber yard has spray paining all
over several of the boards.

Should I sand this off before I begin staining the deck, or will it
wash off with a power washer?

Second, how long should you REALLY wait before staining? I have heard
answers from 12 months, to 6-8 weeks.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 1:20�pm, SirStrongbad wrote:
So my friends and I just finished putting down the last deck plank
last night.

The deck looks great, but the damn lumber yard has spray paining all
over several of the boards.

Should I sand this off before I begin staining the deck, or will it
wash off with a power washer?

Second, how long should you REALLY wait before staining? �I have heard
answers from 12 months, to 6-8 weeks.

Any help is appreciated. �Thanks!

wait and hope the overspray comes off or use some stripper now......

wait at least 6 months.

pressure washing can tear up the wood, use deck britener and stiff
brush.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 12:41 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 2, 1:20�pm, SirStrongbad wrote:

So my friends and I just finished putting down the last deck plank
last night.

The deck looks great, but the damn lumber yard has spray paining all
over several of the boards.

Should I sand this off before I begin staining the deck, or will it
wash off with a power washer?

Second, how long should you REALLY wait before staining? �I have heard
answers from 12 months, to 6-8 weeks.

Any help is appreciated. �Thanks!

wait and hope the overspray comes off or use some stripper now......

wait at least 6 months.

pressure washing can tear up the wood, use deck britener and stiff
brush.

It's not actually over spray. It's the spray painted writing that the
lumber yard sprays on a stack of wood. I was thinking about trying to
hit it with some sand paper, but I wasn't sure if it would be hidden
by the stain or not.

So does the 6 month wait apply to sealing as well?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I can see why you would not want to paint just one side of a piece of wood
with an oil base product until is was a dry as possible. The unpainted side
would dry more than the painted side and possibly warp. However is this a
problem with a water based stain?

"SirStrongbad" wrote in message
On Mar 2, 12:41 pm, " wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 12:20*pm, SirStrongbad wrote:
So my friends and I just finished putting down the last deck plank
last night.

The deck looks great, but the damn lumber yard has spray paining all
over several of the boards.

Should I sand this off before I begin staining the deck, or will it
wash off with a power washer?

Second, how long should you REALLY wait before staining? *I have heard
answers from 12 months, to 6-8 weeks.

Any help is appreciated. *Thanks!

Buy a moisture meter then you will know if its 1 week or 6 months,
guessing will lead to failure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So does the 6 month wait apply to sealing as well?- Hide quoted text -

yeah wait the 6 months so they treated wood stabilizes and the
treatment washes off the surface

a friend didnt wait and absorbtion was spotty, later he tried staining
and it never looked right

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Mar 2008 14:42:11 GMT, "Jeff" wrote:

I can see why you would not want to paint just one side of a piece of wood
with an oil base product until is was a dry as possible. The unpainted side
would dry more than the painted side and possibly warp. However is this a
problem with a water based stain?

Of course. It is better to apply (any) finish to all sides to prevent
warp, wane, twist, splits and all the other typical wood movements.
This is not such a big deal on a deck because imperfections are
expected, unlike furniture. If you can give the end grain an extra
coat, all the better.

Slightly OT deck staining query Mark Woodworking 3 August 2nd 07 01:53 AM
Deck staining/weatherproofing Remi Home Repair 3 May 15th 07 02:30 AM
Deck Staining ? Postal68 Home Repair 6 May 1st 07 09:35 PM
Deck painting/staining problem. andy everett Home Repair 1 April 3rd 07 10:48 AM
staining a deck in Canada George Woodworking 3 June 14th 06 04:16 PM