Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flat roof materials

I've looked in to this and it looks straightforward enough that me and
a friend could replace my rubber roof with new EPDM.

My question is that I know it has a slight pitch to direct rain water
towards the drain, but what was used to shape the roof? When I bought
the house the inspector said something about foamboard? I was
thinking of using wedges to nail to the top of the joists that the
underlayment will lay on...It would be easy enough to create the
slight pitch that way.

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 19, 11:13*am, wrote:
I've looked in to this and it looks straightforward enough that me and
a friend could replace my rubber roof with new EPDM.

My question is that I know it has a slight pitch to direct rain water
towards the drain, but what was used to shape the roof? *When I bought
the house the inspector said something about foamboard? *I was
thinking of using wedges to nail to the top of the joists that the
underlayment will lay on...It would be easy enough to create the
slight pitch that way.

Mike

Your idea sounds OK, but check the manufacturers directions to see if
foamboard is required as an underlayment and not a slope building
material. Good luck.

Joe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, the manufacturer says that it "will adhere to wood, metal,
plastic, glass, fiberglass, rubber, masonry, brick, smooth surface
built up
roofs, non-granular roll roofing, non-granular "half lap" roofing,
painted
surfaces, wood fiberboard, lightweight concrete, and
polyisocyanurate."

Besides wedging the underlayment, would there be any other way to
slope it?

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 19, 2:43*pm, wrote:
Well, the manufacturer says that it "will adhere to wood, metal,
plastic, glass, fiberglass, rubber, masonry, brick, smooth surface
built up
roofs, non-granular roll roofing, non-granular "half lap" roofing,
painted
surfaces, wood fiberboard, lightweight concrete, and
polyisocyanurate."

Besides wedging the underlayment, would there be any other way to
slope it?

Foam board comes in thicknesses from 1/4" to 2", maybe more, so it
should be possible to lay a decent slope for what you need by
transitioning from one thickness to another. A right angle grinder
would take care of any transition junctions that are too abrupt. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 1:56 pm, Robert Allison wrote:
wrote:
I've looked in to this and it looks straightforward enough that me and
a friend could replace my rubber roof with new EPDM.

My question is that I know it has a slight pitch to direct rain water
towards the drain, but what was used to shape the roof? When I bought
the house the inspector said something about foamboard? I was
thinking of using wedges to nail to the top of the joists that the
underlayment will lay on...It would be easy enough to create the
slight pitch that way.

Mike

GAF and many other companies make foam board insulation and wedge
shaped foamboard to provide slope. We use it all the time on
commercial buildings to form the slope. Either that, or the roof
is framed using standard roof joist systems which are then built
up with wedge cut members to slope the roof, which is then
decked. The foam board can then be used for insulation and the
roofing material goes over that.

Here is an example of sloped foamboard:

http://www.gaf.com/Content/Documents/1040.pdf

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Robert is right as usual. Note that usually you have to screw down
coverboard over the foam (otherwise the contact cement will melt the
foam). coverboard is just 1/2" fiberboard held down with washers.
You could do it with wedges as you suggest, but then you would have to
sheath it with 3/4" t and g plywood--at least that is what is specced
on the flat roofs I do. Might find information he
http://www.watertighttech.com/home.shtm

Followup: Roof insulation materials Anna Kettle UK diy 23 July 6th 05 11:53 AM
Flat Roof Fred UK diy 34 January 20th 05 10:58 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? N. Thornton UK diy 0 January 8th 05 02:22 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? JohnJ UK diy 4 January 8th 05 08:03 AM
Piched roof adjoining neighbour's flat roof Trevor Smith UK diy 3 April 12th 04 10:39 AM