Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ancillary roofing considerations

I admit to not taking notes when this topic was discussed recently, but
I'm planning to have a new roof put on this year.

I recall that others had expected the roofers to do some things that,
apparently, roofers don't do unless specifically addressed and included
in the contract - yet they are things that ought to be done concurrently
by someone, anyway. What were those things? (The roof is a simple,
low-pitch gable.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

What part of the country is the home located? What kind of roofing
materials are you planning on using? What is the current condition of the
roof? Have you had any problems with the existing roof?

Northern coastal California, current roof is a 28-year-old "20 year"
asphalt shingle roof (original construction) with no problems. Planning
to replace with dimensional shingles, so-called 40 or 50 year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I admit to not taking notes when this topic was discussed recently, but
I'm planning to have a new roof put on this year.

I recall that others had expected the roofers to do some things that,
apparently, roofers don't do unless specifically addressed and included
in the contract - yet they are things that ought to be done concurrently
by someone, anyway. What were those things? (The roof is a simple,
low-pitch gable.)

Proper drip edges into the gutters, so the roofing doesn't have to stick way out
over the gutters, making cleaning the gutters a pain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 11:26*am, Smitty Two wrote:
I admit to not taking notes when this topic was discussed recently, but
I'm planning to have a new roof put on this year.

I recall that others had expected the roofers to do some things that,
apparently, roofers don't do unless specifically addressed and included
in the contract - yet they are things that ought to be done concurrently
by someone, anyway. What were those things? (The roof is a simple,
low-pitch gable.)

Often roofers cheat on chimney flashing by caulking to the chimney, it
should be cut into the chimneys mortar and remortared, copper is best.
Be sure they look inside to find rot and bid it now. Pull a permit,
you get a free inspection that should guarntee a good job. Pay after
inspection but call the inspector during the job so he comes out. Call
the roofers insurance co yourself to be sure the roofer is covered,
certificates are easily forged. A big magnet should be used to clean
up nails.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I admit to not taking notes when this topic was discussed recently, but
I'm planning to have a new roof put on this year.

I recall that others had expected the roofers to do some things that,
apparently, roofers don't do unless specifically addressed and included
in the contract - yet they are things that ought to be done concurrently
by someone, anyway. What were those things? (The roof is a simple,
low-pitch gable.)

If you were planning on some additional roof penetrations for bath exhaust
fans, kitchen exhaust fans, roof vents, etc. now would be the time to have
them installed. I wouldn't rely entirely on ridge vents for removing excess
heat from the attic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I admit to not taking notes when this topic was discussed recently, but
I'm planning to have a new roof put on this year.

I recall that others had expected the roofers to do some things that,
apparently, roofers don't do unless specifically addressed and included
in the contract - yet they are things that ought to be done concurrently
by someone, anyway. What were those things? (The roof is a simple,
low-pitch gable.)

Proper drip edges into the gutters, so the roofing doesn't have to stick way
out
over the gutters, making cleaning the gutters a pain.

Check. Are you insinuating that some roofers would remove the old drip
edges, and not replace them but extend the shingles out too far instead?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
ransley wrote:

[...]

Hmm, I will keep these things in mind. Hadn't considered the permit at
all. I don't live close by, but hopefully my tenant can coordinate the
inspector. At what stage would it be best inspected?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"John Grabowski" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I admit to not taking notes when this topic was discussed recently, but
I'm planning to have a new roof put on this year.

I recall that others had expected the roofers to do some things that,
apparently, roofers don't do unless specifically addressed and included
in the contract - yet they are things that ought to be done concurrently
by someone, anyway. What were those things? (The roof is a simple,
low-pitch gable.)

If you were planning on some additional roof penetrations for bath exhaust
fans, kitchen exhaust fans, roof vents, etc. now would be the time to have
them installed. I wouldn't rely entirely on ridge vents for removing excess
heat from the attic.

Check. Not much going on in the way of excess heat in that area, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I admit to not taking notes when this topic was discussed recently, but
I'm planning to have a new roof put on this year.

I recall that others had expected the roofers to do some things that,
apparently, roofers don't do unless specifically addressed and included
in the contract - yet they are things that ought to be done concurrently
by someone, anyway. What were those things? (The roof is a simple,
low-pitch gable.)

Proper drip edges into the gutters, so the roofing doesn't have to stick way
out
over the gutters, making cleaning the gutters a pain.

Check. Are you insinuating that some roofers would remove the old drip
edges, and not replace them but extend the shingles out too far instead?

It seems that the standard these days requires a significant overhang if there
is not an appropriate drip edge. On my re-roof, I specified that the gutters
must be easily cleanable on the contract. When they started to put a 1 1/2"
overhang on my 3x4 cedar gutters, I pointes out that I could barely get a finger
into the gutter to claen them. They had to remove the initial shingles and add a
custom drip edge to make them properly cleanable.

One of those gutter cleaning "robots" would probably not work with the big
overhang.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 11:27*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news I admit to not taking notes when this topic was discussed recently, but
[...]

overhang.- Hide quoted text -

try therooftech.com 443-604-2006

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 10:27 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
[...]

www.therooftech.con
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Feb 17, 10:27 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
[...]

And how does this non-working site reference respond to my comments?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

www.therooftech.con

And how does this non-working site reference respond to my comments?

Ha Ha. I imagine the spammer is long gone, Bob, but his typo *is*
amusing.