DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ancillary roofing considerations (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/233844-ancillary-roofing-considerations.html)

Smitty Two February 15th 08 05:26 PM

Ancillary roofing considerations

I admit to not taking notes when this topic was discussed recently, but
I'm planning to have a new roof put on this year.

I recall that others had expected the roofers to do some things that,
apparently, roofers don't do unless specifically addressed and included
in the contract - yet they are things that ought to be done concurrently
by someone, anyway. What were those things? (The roof is a simple,
low-pitch gable.)

Smitty Two February 15th 08 07:24 PM

Ancillary roofing considerations

In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

What part of the country is the home located? What kind of roofing
materials are you planning on using? What is the current condition of the
roof? Have you had any problems with the existing roof?

Northern coastal California, current roof is a 28-year-old "20 year"
asphalt shingle roof (original construction) with no problems. Planning
to replace with dimensional shingles, so-called 40 or 50 year.

Bob F February 15th 08 07:24 PM

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
I admit to not taking notes when this topic was discussed recently, but
I'm planning to have a new roof put on this year.

I recall that others had expected the roofers to do some things that,
apparently, roofers don't do unless specifically addressed and included
in the contract - yet they are things that ought to be done concurrently
by someone, anyway. What were those things? (The roof is a simple,
low-pitch gable.)

Proper drip edges into the gutters, so the roofing doesn't have to stick way out
over the gutters, making cleaning the gutters a pain.

ransley February 15th 08 08:30 PM

On Feb 15, 11:26*am, Smitty Two wrote:
I admit to not taking notes when this topic was discussed recently, but
I'm planning to have a new roof put on this year.

I recall that others had expected the roofers to do some things that,
apparently, roofers don't do unless specifically addressed and included
in the contract - yet they are things that ought to be done concurrently
by someone, anyway. What were those things? (The roof is a simple,
low-pitch gable.)

Often roofers cheat on chimney flashing by caulking to the chimney, it
should be cut into the chimneys mortar and remortared, copper is best.
Be sure they look inside to find rot and bid it now. Pull a permit,
you get a free inspection that should guarntee a good job. Pay after
inspection but call the inspector during the job so he comes out. Call
the roofers insurance co yourself to be sure the roofer is covered,
certificates are easily forged. A big magnet should be used to clean
up nails.

John Grabowski February 16th 08 01:10 AM

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
I admit to not taking notes when this topic was discussed recently, but
I'm planning to have a new roof put on this year.

I recall that others had expected the roofers to do some things that,
apparently, roofers don't do unless specifically addressed and included
in the contract - yet they are things that ought to be done concurrently
by someone, anyway. What were those things? (The roof is a simple,
low-pitch gable.)

If you were planning on some additional roof penetrations for bath exhaust
fans, kitchen exhaust fans, roof vents, etc. now would be the time to have
them installed. I wouldn't rely entirely on ridge vents for removing excess
heat from the attic.

Smitty Two February 17th 08 05:09 PM

"Bob F" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
I admit to not taking notes when this topic was discussed recently, but
I'm planning to have a new roof put on this year.

I recall that others had expected the roofers to do some things that,
apparently, roofers don't do unless specifically addressed and included
in the contract - yet they are things that ought to be done concurrently
by someone, anyway. What were those things? (The roof is a simple,
low-pitch gable.)

Proper drip edges into the gutters, so the roofing doesn't have to stick way
out
over the gutters, making cleaning the gutters a pain.

Check. Are you insinuating that some roofers would remove the old drip
edges, and not replace them but extend the shingles out too far instead?

Smitty Two February 17th 08 05:13 PM

Ancillary roofing considerations

In article
,
ransley wrote:

[...]

Hmm, I will keep these things in mind. Hadn't considered the permit at
all. I don't live close by, but hopefully my tenant can coordinate the
inspector. At what stage would it be best inspected?

Smitty Two February 17th 08 05:14 PM

"John Grabowski" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
I admit to not taking notes when this topic was discussed recently, but
I'm planning to have a new roof put on this year.

I recall that others had expected the roofers to do some things that,
apparently, roofers don't do unless specifically addressed and included
in the contract - yet they are things that ought to be done concurrently
by someone, anyway. What were those things? (The roof is a simple,
low-pitch gable.)

If you were planning on some additional roof penetrations for bath exhaust
fans, kitchen exhaust fans, roof vents, etc. now would be the time to have
them installed. I wouldn't rely entirely on ridge vents for removing excess
heat from the attic.

Check. Not much going on in the way of excess heat in that area, though.

Bob F February 18th 08 03:27 AM

Ancillary roofing considerations

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
I admit to not taking notes when this topic was discussed recently, but
I'm planning to have a new roof put on this year.

I recall that others had expected the roofers to do some things that,
apparently, roofers don't do unless specifically addressed and included
in the contract - yet they are things that ought to be done concurrently
by someone, anyway. What were those things? (The roof is a simple,
low-pitch gable.)

Proper drip edges into the gutters, so the roofing doesn't have to stick way
out
over the gutters, making cleaning the gutters a pain.

Check. Are you insinuating that some roofers would remove the old drip
edges, and not replace them but extend the shingles out too far instead?

It seems that the standard these days requires a significant overhang if there
is not an appropriate drip edge. On my re-roof, I specified that the gutters
must be easily cleanable on the contract. When they started to put a 1 1/2"
overhang on my 3x4 cedar gutters, I pointes out that I could barely get a finger
into the gutter to claen them. They had to remove the initial shingles and add a
custom drip edge to make them properly cleanable.

One of those gutter cleaning "robots" would probably not work with the big
overhang.

[email protected] March 9th 08 08:24 PM

Ancillary roofing considerations

On Feb 17, 11:27*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
[...]

overhang.- Hide quoted text -

try therooftech.com 443-604-2006

[email protected] March 9th 08 08:52 PM

Ancillary roofing considerations

On Feb 17, 10:27 pm, "Bob F" wrote:

www.therooftech.con

Bob F March 16th 08 10:44 PM

Ancillary roofing considerations

wrote in message
On Feb 17, 10:27 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
[...]

And how does this non-working site reference respond to my comments?

Smitty Two March 16th 08 11:31 PM

"Bob F" wrote:

www.therooftech.con

And how does this non-working site reference respond to my comments?

Ha Ha. I imagine the spammer is long gone, Bob, but his typo *is*
amusing.