Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anyone modified snowblower exhaust?

My snowblower, probably like a lot of them, has the muffler located
right smack in front of the operator. I smell like a refinery after
30 minutes of snowblowing.

Has anyone heard or seen of anyone putting a black iron pipe extension
on the exhaust, then putting the muffler on the end of that, in order
to extend the exhaust out or up? I'd love to be able to route the
exhaust fumes somewhere other than right in front of me.

My only concern would be any possible backpressure created by a longer
exhaust pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Darryl wrote:
Has anyone heard or seen of anyone putting a black iron pipe extension
on the exhaust, then putting the muffler on the end of that, in order
to extend the exhaust out or up? I'd love to be able to route the
exhaust fumes somewhere other than right in front of me.

My only concern would be any possible backpressure created by a longer
exhaust pipe.

Done all the time -- no problem as long as isn't ridiculously long or a
whole lot of bends. One 90 or a couple 45's would be fine. If the sex
works out right, I'll try to use street-els instead of 90s as they're a
little longer in sweep...

Posted to alt.home.repair

to add to dpb's reply, if you want to go farther, just go up a pipe size.
Remember, though, you may need to support what you add. The aluminum block
won't like to support a foot or so of pipe and a couple of fittings, plus a
muffler.

"Darryl" wrote in message
My snowblower, probably like a lot of them, has the muffler located
right smack in front of the operator. I smell like a refinery after
30 minutes of snowblowing.

Has anyone heard or seen of anyone putting a black iron pipe extension
on the exhaust, then putting the muffler on the end of that, in order
to extend the exhaust out or up? I'd love to be able to route the
exhaust fumes somewhere other than right in front of me.

My only concern would be any possible backpressure created by a longer
exhaust pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 10:48*am, Darryl wrote:
My snowblower, probably like a lot of them, has the muffler located
right smack in front of the operator. *I smell like a refinery after
30 minutes of snowblowing.

Has anyone heard or seen of anyone putting a black iron pipe extension
on the exhaust, then putting the muffler on the end of that, in order
to extend the exhaust out or up? *I'd love to be able to route the
exhaust fumes somewhere other than right in front of me.

My only concern would be any possible backpressure created by a longer
exhaust pipe.

Maybe an extension, flexible pipe might work. moving the muffler and
not designing good brackets could put excess strain on the head.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Since a snowblower is about waist high at the handles and about 2 feet wide
at the best, where would you extend the exhaust to, that would not be still
in front of you?

You could possibly get a way with an elbow to point the exhaust down. Check
your engine, many these days don't have a threaded pipe outlet, but use an
unthreaded hole with a gasket and the muffler attaches with two bolts, could
make changes more difficult.

"Darryl" wrote in message
My snowblower, probably like a lot of them, has the muffler located
right smack in front of the operator. I smell like a refinery after
30 minutes of snowblowing.

Has anyone heard or seen of anyone putting a black iron pipe extension
on the exhaust, then putting the muffler on the end of that, in order
to extend the exhaust out or up? I'd love to be able to route the
exhaust fumes somewhere other than right in front of me.

My only concern would be any possible backpressure created by a longer
exhaust pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Darryl" wrote in message

Has anyone heard or seen of anyone putting a black iron pipe extension
on the exhaust, then putting the muffler on the end of that, in order
to extend the exhaust out or up? I'd love to be able to route the
exhaust fumes somewhere other than right in front of me.

Can be done with no problem. Even a 90 degree elbow would help.

Consider flex tubing routed to you pants so you don't freeze your ass off
out there.