Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flat Roof Question

Any ideas for a good DIY way to do an almost flat roof, at or about a
1or2-12 pitch? Thanks.

Mike D.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
Any ideas for a good DIY way to do an almost flat roof, at or about a
1or2-12 pitch? Thanks.

Mike D.

Do what? Build one? Fix one? More info needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 00:33:08 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
Any ideas for a good DIY way to do an almost flat roof, at or about a
1or2-12 pitch? Thanks.

Mike D.

Do what? Build one? Fix one? More info needed.

Sorry, cover one. The previous owner did 3 tab on the front porch and did
a poor job of laying down rollout on the back porch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 00:33:08 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
Any ideas for a good DIY way to do an almost flat roof, at or about a
1or2-12 pitch? Thanks.

Mike D.

Do what? Build one? Fix one? More info needed.

Sorry, cover one. The previous owner did 3 tab on the front porch and did
a poor job of laying down rollout on the back porch.

If it was really flat, and I was a really good carpenter (which I'm not),
I'd rip it off and redesign it to have some pitch. But, that's based on my
opinion that you have to be insane to have a flat roof by choice. One of my
neighbors did that, though. He ripped his porch roof down to the beams, and
had a carpenter install a pitched roof. Wasn't that expensive, although the
neighbor did the tar paper & shingles himself.

As far as your slightly pitched roof, I'm not understanding why you wouldn't
install the usual paper + shingles just as with a roof that had more of a
pitch. Just do it right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 03:26:13 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

Several thousand dollars to go crazy with this to rerafter a new pitch on
front and back, decking, and fully reshingle the whole house. This is not
an option.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Why would you need to reshingle the whole house? Do both porch roofs meet
the roof from the main house? Or, are you referring to the shingles on the
sides of the house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 9:40 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Mike Dobony" wrote in message

.. .

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 03:26:13 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 00:33:08 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
t...
[...]

I would recommend an EPDM, aka rubber, roof if it is available in
your area. It is really not that hard for a do-it-yourselfer and a
few helpers. Check out http://www.watertighttech.com/produc...ual/index.shtm.
Rubber roofs are bomb proof and will last for many years. Menards in
the Midwest sells rubber roofing supplies. Otherwise, try a real
lumberyard of a supplier of commercial roofing supplies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 00:33:08 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
Any ideas for a good DIY way to do an almost flat roof, at or about a
1or2-12 pitch? Thanks.

Mike D.

Do what? Build one? Fix one? More info needed.

Sorry, cover one. The previous owner did 3 tab on the front porch and did
a poor job of laying down rollout on the back porch.

As someone fighting an almost flat roof, watch that you have enough overhang
to get the water past the eave, use flashing of the six inch variety to
avoid wind blowing water back, use lots of caulk or tar or whatever you're
using, and just make it triple what you would on any other roof. Then after
it rains, go back and fix the leaks one at a time each time it rains. I'll
NEVER EVER do another slightly pitched roof. Royal PITAs even if done
right.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
Any ideas for a good DIY way to do an almost flat roof, at or about a
1or2-12 pitch? Thanks.

Mike D

..If I were doing it I would strip the old roof,replace any rotted boards and
sweep it clean. Then cover the whole roof with Grace Ice&Water Shield and
shingle to match house....Good luck with your project....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 03:40:42 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

The only reasonable way to increase the pitch is to bring the eaves to the
peak. The porches run the whole width of the house. Below is a side view
of the house, flat too flat and peak too pitched. The pitched roof over
the main part of the house is a low pitch between a 3 and 4-12 pitch.
There is no room to simply increase the pitch or change direction of the
roof. To change the direction would mean a double pitch roof.

/\
/ \
__________/ \____________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 08:52:34 -0500, benick wrote:

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
Any ideas for a good DIY way to do an almost flat roof, at or about a
1or2-12 pitch? Thanks.

Mike D

.If I were doing it I would strip the old roof,replace any rotted boards and
sweep it clean. Then cover the whole roof with Grace Ice&Water Shield and
shingle to match house....Good luck with your project....

This was my thought, but was not sure about it. Still not sure about it.
I may just have a pro do it, but figured it was best to ask for other
ideas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 08:52:34 -0500, benick wrote:

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
Any ideas for a good DIY way to do an almost flat roof, at or about a
1or2-12 pitch? Thanks.

Mike D

.If I were doing it I would strip the old roof,replace any rotted boards
and
sweep it clean. Then cover the whole roof with Grace Ice&Water Shield and
shingle to match house....Good luck with your project....

This was my thought, but was not sure about it. Still not sure about it.
I may just have a pro do it, but figured it was best to ask for other
ideas.

Somewhat similar circumstances, we first had a contractor redo the flat roof
using a membrane to cover the entire roof. Although this kept the room
below dry, we had to resurface/reseal it each year and knew that eventually
it would spring a leak somewhere. Also the flat roof was inadequately
insulated so the ceiling below was warm to the touch during summer time.

So when we got the time and funds we had a contractor do a "roof-over",
which we learned about from this forum. The roofing contractor added
wedge-shaped blocks of insulation to create a modest pitch and also add
insulating value. Since that was done the run-off has been much more
controllable and I don't obsess over getting a leak in the roof. Also, I
got a tax credit for adding insulation, which may help pay for part of the
cost of the work.

This work takes a professional. I would not want to do it myself, for lots
of reasons -- one being the warranty that a professional roofer puts on his
work. Regards --

Flat roof Christian McArdle UK diy 18 March 15th 05 07:27 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? N. Thornton UK diy 0 January 8th 05 02:22 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? JohnJ UK diy 4 January 8th 05 08:03 AM
Roofing question - hot mop, insulation under bricks on flat roof Rick Cunningham Home Repair 1 July 23rd 04 03:37 PM
Piched roof adjoining neighbour's flat roof Trevor Smith UK diy 3 April 12th 04 10:39 AM