Posted to alt.home.repair
JimR JimR is offline

Default Flat Roof Question

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 08:52:34 -0500, benick wrote:

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
Any ideas for a good DIY way to do an almost flat roof, at or about a
1or2-12 pitch? Thanks.

Mike D

.If I were doing it I would strip the old roof,replace any rotted boards
and
sweep it clean. Then cover the whole roof with Grace Ice&Water Shield and
shingle to match house....Good luck with your project....

This was my thought, but was not sure about it. Still not sure about it.
I may just have a pro do it, but figured it was best to ask for other
ideas.

Somewhat similar circumstances, we first had a contractor redo the flat roof
using a membrane to cover the entire roof. Although this kept the room
below dry, we had to resurface/reseal it each year and knew that eventually
it would spring a leak somewhere. Also the flat roof was inadequately
insulated so the ceiling below was warm to the touch during summer time.

So when we got the time and funds we had a contractor do a "roof-over",
which we learned about from this forum. The roofing contractor added
wedge-shaped blocks of insulation to create a modest pitch and also add
insulating value. Since that was done the run-off has been much more
controllable and I don't obsess over getting a leak in the roof. Also, I
got a tax credit for adding insulation, which may help pay for part of the
cost of the work.

This work takes a professional. I would not want to do it myself, for lots
of reasons -- one being the warranty that a professional roofer puts on his
work. Regards --