Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to place fireplace in bedroom?

I am frameing a gas fireplace im a masterbedroom which will have a
flatscreen over it with a small mantle. I am going to use cultured stone to
finish the face of the wall. the wall is about 6 feet wide and is 8' tall.

How do I go about figuring what would look good in proportions? ie how do I
determine the height of the fireplace and placing of mantle and tv to look
good? Are there any standard guidelines that builders use?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary wrote:

How do I go about figuring what would look good in proportions? ie
how do I determine the height of the fireplace and placing of mantle
and tv to look good? Are there any standard guidelines that builders
use?

The first thing I would be concerned with is: at what height will the tv be
comfortable for watching? Function over form is what matters in that regard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I pretended I was in the "bed" and was watching TV. It is directly across
from the bed and because the fireplace/TV will be so far from the foot of
the bed ~ 6', any height on the TV will be comfortable.

Which is in contrast to what I have now, a 21" TV on a 5' bureau 1' away
from the foot of the bed. That hurts the neck muscles!! LOL

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
Gary wrote:

How do I go about figuring what would look good in proportions? ie
how do I determine the height of the fireplace and placing of mantle
and tv to look good? Are there any standard guidelines that builders
use?

The first thing I would be concerned with is: at what height will the tv
be comfortable for watching? Function over form is what matters in that
regard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary wrote:

I pretended I was in the "bed" and was watching TV. It is directly
across from the bed and because the fireplace/TV will be so far from
the foot of the bed ~ 6', any height on the TV will be comfortable.

There ya go; you know it'll work.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

beware the LCD flatscreen may not like thew excess heat above the
fireplace...........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 4:46 pm, " wrote:
beware the LCD flatscreen may not like thew excess heat above the
fireplace...........

A plasma wouldn't like it either. We took this into account when we
did our MBR addition.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:46:56 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

beware the LCD flatscreen may not like thew excess heat above the
fireplace...........

Dead ON! No reason to place a fancy HDTV above a fire place. The OP
should google this.

Good point.
Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
beware the LCD flatscreen may not like thew excess heat above the
fireplace...........

I get asked this one a lot. There is no industry study for placing a TV
over a fireplace. A vented fireplace will put out less heat over the mantle
(vent free not allowed in bedroom anyway, unless under 10,000 BTU). I have
never hear of a failure and I know of a lot done that way. If possible, I
suggest recessing the TV so the front is even with the wall, it will receive
less heat than if in front of the wall.
--
John Galbreath Jr.
www.FireLogs.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 16:25:40 -0600, "John Galbreath Jr."
wrote:

wrote in message
beware the LCD flatscreen may not like thew excess heat above the
fireplace...........

I get asked this one a lot. There is no industry study for placing a TV
over a fireplace. A vented fireplace will put out less heat over the mantle
(vent free not allowed in bedroom anyway, unless under 10,000 BTU). I have
never hear of a failure and I know of a lot done that way. If possible, I
suggest recessing the TV so the front is even with the wall, it will receive
less heat than if in front of the wall.

Ask a certified person....!

Visit a home theater group and the answers will be NO, not above a
fire place.

Oren