Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unknown Paint

I am attempting to paint some cabinets in a home that I just purchased
and I was unsure of the type of paint that was used prior. I have
sanded the cabinets and began to paint (latex semi-gloss, after a day
of drying I attempted to put the second coat on and it lifted the
paint right off. What does this mean? I want to paint the cabinets
properly and actually be able to wash them without the paint coming
off every time.

I have looked over some of the previous posts regading the possiblity
that it is an oil based paint that I am painting over. Do I need to
strip the paint off since sanding didnt do the trick? Should I have
used a primer before painting with the latex?

Please help, I cant afford a painter to come in and do the entire
kitchen
Posted to alt.home.repair

30 years in the painting business, and I would NEVER use latex on
cabinets or wood. oil base semi gloss, with a primer first. if you thin
the oil base 25% it will go on easier than latex and hold much longer.
only amateurs use latex on wood

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 11:54*pm, (The hooligan) wrote:
30 years in the painting business, and I would NEVER use latex on
cabinets or wood. oil base semi gloss, with a primer first. if you thin
the oil base 25% it will go on easier than latex and hold much longer.
only amateurs use latex on wood

Latex on cabinets that have oil and imbedded grease will never work,
remove it. You may have washed it but years of touching with greasy
hands means stripping bare is the only sure way, then use oil