Posted to alt.home.repair
jonzie jonzie is offline

Default Unknown Paint

I am attempting to paint some cabinets in a home that I just purchased
and I was unsure of the type of paint that was used prior. I have
sanded the cabinets and began to paint (latex semi-gloss, after a day
of drying I attempted to put the second coat on and it lifted the
paint right off. What does this mean? I want to paint the cabinets
properly and actually be able to wash them without the paint coming
off every time.

I have looked over some of the previous posts regading the possiblity
that it is an oil based paint that I am painting over. Do I need to
strip the paint off since sanding didnt do the trick? Should I have
used a primer before painting with the latex?

Please help, I cant afford a painter to come in and do the entire
kitchen