Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HVAC air outlets in a ceiling.

What are the considerations for putting heat/AC air outlets in a ceiling.

One room on the 2nd floor in a house (addition) has floor joists running
the wrong way to put ducts in them. One option is running a duct in the
attic (insulation not a problem) with outlets in the ceiling. The
mechanic says “I haven't seen it done." The other option is adding a
soffit in the ceiling corner of a 1st floor kitchen (not desirable) with
the outlets in the floor. Location Minneapolis, system includes AC. The
rest of the 2nd floor and house has ducts in the floor.

Booster fan appropriate?
Would the system balance for both heat and AC?

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 12:18 pm, "S. Barker" wrote:
I"ve not seen a two story that has the vents anywhere BUT the ceiling.

You don't get out often, do you?

About 80% of the 2 story houses I have been in have them on the
floor. The remainder splits out about 50/50 into wall mounted (not
near the floor) or on the ceiling.

The
mechanic says "I haven't seen it done."

Most mechanics can't even work on cars, don't ask them about your
heating system.

Booster fan appropriate?

Hard to say. Might be ok without it but -

Would the system balance for both heat and AC?

Since heat rises, you might be ok there, but AC might be a little
weak, but your best resource would be a qualified HVAC person, not a
mechanic.

JK

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

bud-- wrote:
What are the considerations for putting heat/AC air outlets in a ceiling.

One room on the 2nd floor in a house (addition) has floor joists running
the wrong way to put ducts in them. One option is running a duct in the
attic (insulation not a problem) with outlets in the ceiling. The
mechanic says “I haven't seen it done." The other option is adding a
soffit in the ceiling corner of a 1st floor kitchen (not desirable) with
the outlets in the floor. Location Minneapolis, system includes AC. The
rest of the 2nd floor and house has ducts in the floor.

Booster fan appropriate?
Would the system balance for both heat and AC?

This thread has been quite educational for me. I live in the south and
since our major load is AC, I would guess that that is the difference,
but I have not seen air registers on the floor in a house. The only
place that has registers on the floor around here are mobile homes.

ALL of the registers are on the ceilings around here, unless there is a
situation that makes that less workable, such as vaulted ceilings. They
are then placed very high up on the wall.

I can guarantee you that it will work for you due to my experience, but
as another poster said, you might install a ceiling fan as that helps to
circulate warm air when the heater is being used.

Get a good AC technician to design and install it.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Big_Jake wrote:

The
mechanic says "I haven't seen it done."

Most mechanics can't even work on cars, don't ask them about your
heating system.

The problem is it was the HVAC mechanic, with many years experience and
working for a moderately large contractor, who said it. I know ceiling
runs can be done but don't know what the trade-offs are, particularly
with mixed ceiling and floor. IMHO the comment raised questions about
the mechanic. And unfortunately not the only thing that raised questions
about the mechanic. (It isn't my house. I'm looking for advice for the
owner.)

Thanks for the replies.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:03:25 -0600, bud--
wrote:

What are the considerations for putting heat/AC air outlets in a ceiling.

One room on the 2nd floor in a house (addition) has floor joists running
the wrong way to put ducts in them. One option is running a duct in the
attic (insulation not a problem) with outlets in the ceiling. The
mechanic says “I haven't seen it done." The other option is adding a
soffit in the ceiling corner of a 1st floor kitchen (not desirable) with
the outlets in the floor. Location Minneapolis, system includes AC. The
rest of the 2nd floor and house has ducts in the floor.

Booster fan appropriate?
Would the system balance for both heat and AC?

That is the usual place for the outlets here ... but we use a lot more
AC than heat. You really need the heat to come up from low ducts.

The Return air grilles should be at the floor level.
If the diffusers throw the air down toward the exterior walls & adequate
Returns are near the floor it will work okay.
- udarrell

--
WISDOM PRINCIPLED EMPOWERMENT COMMUNICATIONS -
THE REAL POLITICAL ISSUES & WISDOM Principled PEOPLE EMPOWERMENT

http://www.udarrell.com/ (Updated 01/23/08) NO attacks on Iran or Pakistan - NO severe economic sanctions, communicate, do not threaten them instead negotiate peaceful relationships!

http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm (A page full of links to my pages.)
Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to ACCEPT.