Posted to alt.home.repair
udarrell udarrell is offline

Default HVAC air outlets in a ceiling.

wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:03:25 -0600, bud--
wrote:

What are the considerations for putting heat/AC air outlets in a ceiling.

One room on the 2nd floor in a house (addition) has floor joists running
the wrong way to put ducts in them. One option is running a duct in the
attic (insulation not a problem) with outlets in the ceiling. The
mechanic says “I haven't seen it done." The other option is adding a
soffit in the ceiling corner of a 1st floor kitchen (not desirable) with
the outlets in the floor. Location Minneapolis, system includes AC. The
rest of the 2nd floor and house has ducts in the floor.

Booster fan appropriate?
Would the system balance for both heat and AC?

That is the usual place for the outlets here ... but we use a lot more
AC than heat. You really need the heat to come up from low ducts.

The Return air grilles should be at the floor level.
If the diffusers throw the air down toward the exterior walls & adequate
Returns are near the floor it will work okay.
- udarrell

--
WISDOM PRINCIPLED EMPOWERMENT COMMUNICATIONS -
THE REAL POLITICAL ISSUES & WISDOM Principled PEOPLE EMPOWERMENT

http://www.udarrell.com/ (Updated 01/23/08) NO attacks on Iran or Pakistan - NO severe economic sanctions, communicate, do not threaten them instead negotiate peaceful relationships!

http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm (A page full of links to my pages.)
Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to ACCEPT.