Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A couple of double hung window questions (potentially dumb ones)

Hi all,

Ever since my wife and I moved into our house 2 years ago, I've been
obsessed with fixing up the windows, which were clearly the worst part
of the house and were original to when it was built in the 1920's.
We've done a lot of work and now the windows are among the house's
best features, but there are still a few things I'd like to improve
and I don't really know where to go from here. These are really
pretty minor questions but I can't find good answers anywhere else.

First, we've replaced 14 out of 21 double hung windows in our house
(those 14 were beyond being practical to salvage, though I did save
what I could from them just in case). I'm mainly concerned now with
getting the remaining seven antique windows to work like they're
supposed to.

The biggest problem is that a few of these windows are overly "loose"
in the track. None of the construction seems to have moved, it's like
they were built that way. This causes the sash to invariably get
stuck multiple times as you pull it up and it goes crooked in the
track. What is the best way to fix this short of rebuilding the
entire window frame?

Second, these obviously aren't the most energy efficient windows, as
old as they are (though they do all have storm windows). On one of
them, our previous owners had done a little renovation work themselves
and they managed to find some weather stripping that looks like it was
made specifically for a storm window. It's vinyl and it fits
perfectly in the tiny crack between the glass and the aluminum, almost
like a press-in glazing. Works really well; this is about the warmest
window in the house (better even than most of the new ones). I
haven't been able to find this stuff anywhere, and I don't even know
what it's called - does anyone know from my description?

Thanks,

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Track might be loaded with paint. I rehabbed similar windows on my
daughter's house. I
didn't get into entirely dismantling the sashes to replace cords (next
long vacation). The wood
strip that holds the sash in place might also be worn. Can't tell from
here )

Second, these obviously aren't the most energy efficient windows, as
old as they are (though they do all have storm windows). On one of
them, our previous owners had done a little renovation work themselves
and they managed to find some weather stripping that looks like it was
made specifically for a storm window. It's vinyl and it fits

I found similar stuff - like a plastic quarter round - for aluminum
windows. Found it at the
hardware store (not the big box store). If you have a sample take it to
hardware or window dealer
or try googling.