Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fixing a double hung window tension string?

Hi all,

I've got a house about 7 years old. The windows are typical double hung
dual pane tilt-out removable windows. I have no information about the
manufacturer. There are no markings to indicate this, nor info given to
me when I bought the house about who made the windows.

The windows slide up and down in their tracks, and at the top of the
sliding pane, there are latches that when pressed inward allow the
window to tilt inward (to the inside). The window can then be lifted
out. The bottom of the sliding pane has prongs on either side; these fit
into small plastic sliders that fit in a grove in the window frame. The
sliders are attached to tensioned strings that effectively
counterballance the weight of the window.

My problem is that some of these plastic slider pieces are broken. So,
the prongs aren't held tightly and the windows don't fit quite right and
sometimes rattle in the wind, or don't stay raised when the windows are
opened.

The plastic sliders and tension strings are part of what appears to be a
removable piece inside the groove on the side of the window frame, held
by just one small screw. I can remove the screw and the whole tension
string assembly moves up and down in the groove. But there's just not
quite enough clearance to remove it from the grooves.

I realized this isn't much information, but perhaps someone more
familiar with this topic can guide me towards some resources to help me
figure out how to remove this assembly, and figure out where to get
replacement parts?

Thanks in advance!

Marc