Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old battery

I have an old car and battery with the Negative dis connected, I
charge it, 2 days later it shows 70% charge of 12v or so, is it a junk
battery, I think so. Only the Positive is connect but the case is clean
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
I have an old car and battery with the Negative dis connected, I
charge it, 2 days later it shows 70% charge of 12v or so, is it a junk
battery, I think so. Only the Positive is connect but the case is clean

So? What is your question?

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message
I have an old car and battery with the Negative dis connected, I
charge it, 2 days later it shows 70% charge of 12v or so, is it a
junk battery, I think so. Only the Positive is connect but the case
is clean

So? What is your question?

He asked if the battery is viable or junk?

I've no idea what the answer is, but I think I'd clip a headlight to it
to drain it down until the light dimmed, then recharge again and see
what it looked like. And, ask how he's measuring the charge remaining.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:eqQkj.2435
:

"ransley" wrote in message
I have an old car and battery with the Negative dis connected, I
charge it, 2 days later it shows 70% charge of 12v or so, is it a junk
battery, I think so. Only the Positive is connect but the case is clean

So? What is your question?

I didn't see one either...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Twayne" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message
I have an old car and battery with the Negative dis connected, I
charge it, 2 days later it shows 70% charge of 12v or so, is it a
junk battery, I think so. Only the Positive is connect but the case
is clean

So? What is your question?

He asked if the battery is viable or junk?

Not that I noticed, although my definition of "question" is based on the
standards applied to children in elementary school.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cool.

"ransley" wrote in message
I have an old car and battery with the Negative dis connected, I
charge it, 2 days later it shows 70% charge of 12v or so, is it a junk
battery, I think so. Only the Positive is connect but the case is clean

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message
I have an old car and battery with the Negative dis connected, *I
charge it, 2 days later it shows 70% charge of 12v or so, is it a
junk battery, I think so. Only the Positive is connect but the case
is clean

So? *What is your question?

He asked if the battery is viable or junk?

Not that I noticed, although my definition of "question" is based on the
standards applied to children in elementary school.

"is it a......" may be a question, but he follows it with a
statement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message
I have an old car and battery with the Negative dis connected, I
charge it, 2 days later it shows 70% charge of 12v or so, is it a
junk battery, I think so. Only the Positive is connect but the case
is clean

So? What is your question?

He asked if the battery is viable or junk?

Not that I noticed, although my definition of "question" is based on the
standards applied to children in elementary school.

"is it a......" may be a question, but he follows it with a
statement.

===============

Ransley has a history of sorts with alien writing concepts, so it's hard to
say what he really means.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
I have an old car and battery with the Negative dis connected, I
charge it, 2 days later it shows 70% charge of 12v or so, is it a junk
battery, I think so. Only the Positive is connect but the case is clean

Its useful life is over. Take it to be recycled. Batteries decline whether
they are in use or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

I have an old car and battery with the Negative dis connected, I
charge it, 2 days later it shows 70% charge of 12v or so, is it a junk
battery, I think so. Only the Positive is connect but the case is clean

Not entirely clear on the question, but if the battery in question is a
conventional type, more than about 5 years old and has sat uncharged in
the vehicle for some time you can safely consider it junk even if it
seems to take a charge. It might hold out for a couple start cycles in
the car and then will surely leave you stranded in short order.

It's either an exchange for a new battery core charge, a lead sale to a
scrap dealer, or if you really want to extract every ounce of service
life from it, use it in something that won't leave you stranded like a
lawn tractor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ransley,

2 days later it shows 70% charge of 12v or so, is it a junk
battery, I think so. Only the Positive is connect but the case is clean

How did you measure the 70%? Did you draw up some acid and check it's
density?

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
I have an old car and battery with the Negative dis connected, I
charge it, 2 days later it shows 70% charge of 12v or so, is it a
junk battery, I think so. Only the Positive is connect but the case
is clean

So? What is your question?

I didn't see one either...

Learn to read; it's pretty clear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
I have an old car and battery with the Negative dis connected, *I
charge it, 2 days later it shows 70% charge of 12v or so, is it a
junk battery, I think so. Only the Positive is connect but the case
is clean

So? *What is your question?

I didn't see one either...

Learn to read; it's pretty clear.- Hide quoted text -

accurate measurement of state of charge by volatage is difficult.

The voltage range from 100% to 0 is all in the "12 volt or so range".

For most anything you want to know about batteries:

http://batteryfaq.org

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

I have an old car and battery with the Negative dis connected, I
charge it, 2 days later it shows 70% charge of 12v or so, is it a
junk battery, I think so. Only the Positive is connect but the case
is clean

So? What is your question?

I didn't see one either...

Learn to read; it's pretty clear.

I can read. I attended the Evelyn Woodhead Sped Red'n Course.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 5:02*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

I have an old car and battery with the Negative dis connected, *I
charge it, 2 days later it shows 70% charge of 12v or so, is it a junk
battery, I think so. Only the Positive is connect but the case is clean

So? *What is your question?

I thought it might be above your comprehension.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

I have an old car and battery with the Negative dis connected, I
charge it, 2 days later it shows 70% charge of 12v or so, is it a junk
battery, I think so. Only the Positive is connect but the case is clean

So? What is your question?

I thought it might be above your comprehension.

Read your original message. You were drunk when you wrote it. Sometimes
you're lucid, and sometimes you're not. I don't care enough to watch for a
pattern, but I wonder if your most incoherent messages are written from late
afternoon onward.

357 battery Wes[_2_] Metalworking 19 January 1st 08 06:57 PM
li-ion battery Deodiaus Electronics Repair 35 December 4th 06 11:19 PM
changing from 1.5V battery to 9V battery GuitarPsych Electronics 18 April 10th 06 12:11 AM
Battery SDS Michael Mcneil UK diy 75 July 31st 05 07:22 AM
alarm system battery backup, battery replacement question Michael Baugh Home Repair 1 June 19th 04 03:35 PM