Posted to alt.home.repair

Default garage door opener

I have a strange problem with my opener. It works fine with the wall mount
control, but with the car remotes, it will only open. The car remotes won't
close the opener. I have to get out of the car, close the door with the wall
control, and then run out before the door closes.

This is an older Craftsmen opener. Any idea's on what the problem could be?

Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 1:56*pm, "rfofaky" wrote:
I have a strange problem with my opener. It works fine with the wall mount
control, but with the car remotes, it will only open. The car remotes won't
close the opener. I have to get out of the car, close the door with the wall
control, and then run out before the door closes.

This is an older Craftsmen opener. Any idea's on what the problem could be?

Thank you.

The batteries are new of course. Did the antenna come loose on the
unit in the garage,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 7:30*pm, ransley wrote:
On Jan 19, 1:56*pm, "rfofaky" wrote:

I have a strange problem with my opener. It works fine with the wall mount
control, but with the car remotes, it will only open. The car remotes won't
close the opener. I have to get out of the car, close the door with the wall
control, and then run out before the door closes.

This is an older Craftsmen opener. Any idea's on what the problem could be?

Thank you.

The batteries are new of course. Did the antenna come loose on the
unit in the garage,

Any possibilility someone screwed around with a switch setting on the
opener? Although I've never seen it, this sounds like it could be
some kind of optional safety setting, that only allows the remote to
open, but not close the door.

Other than that, I can't think of why the remote would only work in
one direction. The remote doesn't know if the door is up or down.
It only sends a command to move, so something in the opener must be
responsible. Also, have you tried removing power for 15 secs and then
reconnecting?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rfofaky" wrote in message
I have a strange problem with my opener. It works fine with the wall mount
control, but with the car remotes, it will only open. The car remotes won't
close the opener. I have to get out of the car, close the door with the
wall control, and then run out before the door closes.

This is an older Craftsmen opener. Any idea's on what the problem could
be?

Thank you.

Are you sure it won't close with the remote - have you tried it while parked
in the gargage?

If you've got a cold garage like me (given that it is -17 today, the garage
will be around 20) then the battery will cool to such a point that its
signal is very weak. So weak that it will work when I'm parked in the
gargage, 5 feet under the unit, but not when I've backed out 20 feet. That
would be my best bet. I started taking the remote into the house at night.

Moo

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think I fixed the problem. In the directions, it says the remotes have to
be the same settings. I re-programmed them, and it seems to be working now.
They must have gotten out of sinc somehow. Thanks for the help.