Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shower pan

A recent This Old House program featured a worker applying a liquid
membrane directly on plywood in a shower. This was to be the base for
tile.

What is this product? Does it work? Will it stand up over time? If it
works, does seem easier than messing with a pvc membrane or pan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

franz frippl wrote:
A recent This Old House program featured a worker applying a liquid
membrane directly on plywood in a shower. This was to be the base for
tile.

What is this product? Does it work? Will it stand up over time? If it
works, does seem easier than messing with a pvc membrane or pan.

Did it smell like fiberglass?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 9:35 pm, Robert Allison wrote:
franz frippl wrote:
A recent This Old House program featured a worker applying a liquid
membrane directly on plywood in a shower. This was to be the base for
tile.

What is this product? Does it work? Will it stand up over time? If it
works, does seem easier than messing with a pvc membrane or pan.

Did it smell like fiberglass?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

Hey Robert -

You can smell things on TV in Texas?? Is that called Smellivision?
From cable or an antenna?

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

franz frippl wrote:
A recent This Old House program featured a worker applying a liquid
membrane directly on plywood in a shower. �This was to be the base for
tile.

What is this product? �Does it work? �Will it stand up over time? �If it
works, does seem easier than messing with a pvc membrane or pan.

Did it smell like fiberglass?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

Hey Robert -

You can smell things on TV in Texas?? �Is that called Smellivision?
From cable or an antenna?

JK

i believe the shower pad used a rubber membrame, the poured stuff was
self leveling concrete, to slope things for drainage.

or there was a copper shower pan, soldered seams.
its by nature waterproof, and again a leveling compound was used for
drainage
Posted to alt.home.repair

franz frippl wrote:

A recent This Old House program featured a worker applying a liquid
membrane directly on plywood in a shower. This was to be the base for
tile.

What is this product? Does it work? Will it stand up over time? If it
works, does seem easier than messing with a pvc membrane or pan.

Did it smell like fiberglass?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

Hey Robert -

You can smell things on TV in Texas?? Is that called Smellivision?
From cable or an antenna?

JK

Not every program. But there are some programs that definitely smell.
American Idol, for instance. :-)

That response was my smart ass way of pointing out that many shower pans
are made from fiberglass. If it was fiberglass, then the guys on TOH
would probably have mentioned it. They generally talk about useless
stuff like that and leave off the important stuff, like what it is.

There are a few other waterproofing products that may well be used to
form a shower pan, but I don't know of any long term tests for them,
when used in that application. I didn't see the show, so I can only guess.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 9:08 pm, franz frippl wrote:
A recent This Old House program featured a worker applying a liquid
membrane directly on plywood in a shower. This was to be the base for
tile.

What is this product? Does it work? Will it stand up over time? If it
works, does seem easier than messing with a pvc membrane or pan.

Here is the one I see most often. This in not and endorsement. :-)

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...s/RedGard.aspx

I like membrane or copper myself, but this sure is cheap and easy.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

Big_Jake wrote:
On Jan 17, 9:08 pm, franz frippl wrote:

A recent This Old House program featured a worker applying a liquid
membrane directly on plywood in a shower. This was to be the base for
tile.

What is this product? Does it work? Will it stand up over time? If it
works, does seem easier than messing with a pvc membrane or pan.

Here is the one I see most often. This in not and endorsement. :-)

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...s/RedGard.aspx

I like membrane or copper myself, but this sure is cheap and easy.

JK

Although the ads for this say it is approved for shower pans, I would
have to see a long time installation to believe it. I use it for the
primary waterproofing for concrete countertops, tile countertops, etc.,
but I have never seen it used for pans.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.