Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default shower pan

Big_Jake wrote:
On Jan 17, 9:35 pm, Robert Allison wrote:

franz frippl wrote:

A recent This Old House program featured a worker applying a liquid
membrane directly on plywood in a shower. This was to be the base for
tile.

What is this product? Does it work? Will it stand up over time? If it
works, does seem easier than messing with a pvc membrane or pan.

Did it smell like fiberglass?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Hey Robert -

You can smell things on TV in Texas?? Is that called Smellivision?
From cable or an antenna?

JK

Not every program. But there are some programs that definitely smell.
American Idol, for instance. :-)

That response was my smart ass way of pointing out that many shower pans
are made from fiberglass. If it was fiberglass, then the guys on TOH
would probably have mentioned it. They generally talk about useless
stuff like that and leave off the important stuff, like what it is.

There are a few other waterproofing products that may well be used to
form a shower pan, but I don't know of any long term tests for them,
when used in that application. I didn't see the show, so I can only guess.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.