Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Ducting question

SteveB wrote:
An AC company came and added heat strips to my heat pump unit. They also
added two ducts. When I checked them, there is very little air coming out
of them. When checking the ducts that were in place, there's a good flow of
air from them. The new ducts are about 20' long on each leg. Could there
be too much resistance to push the air that far? I would think a little
bit, but there's hardly any air coming out.

What about returns? If there's no return where these new legs go,
they're pushing against a dam...

Posted to alt.home.repair

An AC company came and added heat strips to my heat pump unit. They also
added two ducts. When I checked them, there is very little air coming out
of them. When checking the ducts that were in place, there's a good flow of
air from them. The new ducts are about 20' long on each leg. Could there
be too much resistance to push the air that far? I would think a little
bit, but there's hardly any air coming out.

I have called the company, but they can't send anyone out until Monday. I
went up in the attic, and can't find any place where the flexible ducting is
loose or not held together well with those bands.

Any ideas?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

SteveB wrote:

An AC company came and added heat strips to my heat pump unit. They
also added two ducts. When I checked them, there is very little air
coming out of them. When checking the ducts that were in place,
there's a good flow of air from them. The new ducts are about 20'
long on each leg. Could there be too much resistance to push the air
that far? I would think a little bit, but there's hardly any air
coming out.

What about returns? If there's no return where these new legs go,
they're pushing against a dam...

The above response is apt to be part of problem, there could also be
many other factors that need correcting.
There is a proper way to install ductwork.
The entire ductwork system should be evaluated for proper design &
function in accordance with the "Manual D."
Learn some of the fundamentals so you will know if the contractor is
doing it right:
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html

- udarrell . com

--
WISDOM PRINCIPLED EMPOWERMENT COMMUNICATIONS -
THE REAL POLITICAL ISSUES & WISDOM Principled PEOPLE EMPOWERMENT

http://www.udarrell.com/ (Updated Often)
NO attacks on Iran or Pakistan - NO severe economic sanctions, communicate - negotiate!

http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm (A page full of links to my pages.)

Time to create a "DEPARTMENT OF PEACE - HR 808)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...tment_of_Peace
Moral principled philosophies can save countless lives & Trillions of wasted dollars?

Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to ACCEPT.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ditch the sig. it kills your credibility. and don't post html to a
newsgroup. that shows you have no credibility.

new here, huh?

"udarrell" wrote in message
. net...
dpb wrote:
SteveB wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in
:

An AC company came and added heat strips to my heat pump unit. They
also added two ducts. When I checked them, there is very little air
coming out of them. When checking the ducts that were in place,
there's a good flow of air from them. The new ducts are about 20'
long on each leg. Could there be too much resistance to push the air
that far? I would think a little bit, but there's hardly any air
coming out.

I have called the company, but they can't send anyone out until
Monday. I went up in the attic, and can't find any place where the
flexible ducting is loose or not held together well with those bands.

Any ideas?

Steve

Along with other replies...did they tap into the trunk or did they put Y
splitters off an existing line? The latter is bad. If they put Y's on an
existing one, the original one should have reduced airflow. It's just
rerouting some of the air...rob Peter to pay Paul.

If they came off the trunk did they then Y the two new ones? I've seen
this done effectively by tapping at the end of it with large flex duct
then splitting that into the normal register duct run diameter.

I never actually saw one but an experienced AC guy told me baffles can be
put in the duct where it comes off the trunk. Is it possible baffles were
put in and set too par closed I wonder? Just guessing here.

Of course you know, done right or not, that new air has to come from
someplace because the handler can only put out so much. Basically steals
a portion from each of the other ducts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"SteveB" wrote in
:

[...]

Actually, when they went in there, they took the duct off of a home made
register box that split it to two registers. So, they killed those
registers and put it to two more farther away in the same room. Flow should
have been the same. There's a gate closed or a problem somewhere else, as
it should not have changed much. Anyway, the guy is coming out to look at
it, and I'm going to get up there with him and see what he tells me. A
couple of young bucks came and did the work, and it looks right. It just
doesn't get much air.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

ditch the sig. it kills your credibility. and don't post html to a
newsgroup. that shows you have no credibility.

new here, huh?

"udarrell" wrote in message
.net...
dpb wrote:
SteveB wrote:

[...]

You have a right to your opinion. A sig is ok in any NG & when a link
within the post is helpful & on topic I welcome them.
I don't have to defend my credibility, all I want to do is help people
live a better life. This is an NG that is supposed to be helpful to its
readers.
I will continue to communicate what is hopefully helpful irrespective of
opposing opinions. Live & let live. :-)
- udarrell . com

90mm Hot air ducting bluechip UK diy 0 December 8th 06 10:06 AM
Ducting JoeJoe UK diy 4 October 24th 05 09:23 PM
5"air ducting: 2 into 1? Lobster UK diy 8 January 20th 05 02:17 PM
Extractor fan ducting? D UK diy 1 July 23rd 04 09:33 PM
ducting Lurch UK diy 2 July 17th 04 03:25 PM