Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heated ceiling repair

I have heated ceilings in a 60 year old house. The problem is one
area of ceiling about 4 feet by 4 feet has multiple cracks and is now
sagging.
I have no problem with such repairs but am a little wary of the
heating wires and not sure how to go about reconnecting the ceiling
since I can't just tear in out.
Has anyone attempted this kind of repair. Any help is appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

troll

troll (trol) verb
that somebody else will consider the original message so outrageous that
it demands a heated reply. A classic example of a troll is to post an
article in favor of torturing cats in a pet lovers' newsgroup.

Microsoft Press® Computer and Internet Dictionary © & ? 1997, 1998
Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Portions, The Microsoft
Press® Computer Dictionary, 3rd Edition, Copyright © 1997 by Microsoft
Press. All rights reserved.

wrote:
I have heated ceilings in a 60 year old house. The problem is one
area of ceiling about 4 feet by 4 feet has multiple cracks and is now
sagging.
I have no problem with such repairs but am a little wary of the
heating wires and not sure how to go about reconnecting the ceiling
since I can't just tear in out.
Has anyone attempted this kind of repair. Any help is appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 14, 12:00*am, Robert Barr wrote:
What is your problem? You have no idea what I was refering to do
you. If not, just don't say anything.

wrote:
I have heated ceilings in a 60 year old house. *The problem is one
area of ceiling about 4 feet by 4 feet has multiple cracks and is now
sagging.
I have no problem with such repairs but am a little wary of the
heating wires and not sure how to go about reconnecting the ceiling
since I can't just tear in out.
Has anyone attempted this kind of repair. *Any help is appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not even , very common , electric wires embedded in the plaster ,

to the op, if the heat still works , then no problems ,
they are simply bare nichrome wires embedded in the plaster ,
carefully clean the cracks , and repair with plaster . or mud ,
being certain to not nick or scrape the wires . and then allowing
plaster or mud to set completely before powering them up .

good luck

Robert Barr wrote:
troll

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 14, 12:34*pm, "Zyp" wrote:
wrote:
I have heated ceilings in a 60 year old house. *The problem is one
area of ceiling about 4 feet by 4 feet has multiple cracks and is now
sagging.
I have no problem with such repairs but am a little wary of the
heating wires and not sure how to go about reconnecting the ceiling
since I can't just tear in out.
Has anyone attempted this kind of repair. *Any help is appreciated.

rile42;

I'm fairly familiar with the Emerson Electric Ceiling heat. *Popular during
the 60's when all electric homes were being built.

Unfortunately, today the electric heating elements are no longer available
and a splice kit also is not available. *Your options are limited to an
electric baseboard heater. *The baseboard heater can be installed below the
wall thermostat [where 220volt feed is already available] at the floor
level. *This is a solution to a mis-hap that caused the ceiling wiring to
fail [usually caused by either a water leak from the roof, a un-informed
plumber who tearing the ceiling out to install new copper piping, or someone
who decided to replace the ceiling for whatever reason.]

--
Zyp

Thanks for the info. My only problem was if there is a fire danger if
one of the wires is nicked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin is right. I have some Popular Science/Mechanics and Mechanics
Illustrated from the early thru late 50's and have seen them in there.
Never knew how common they were, or how well they worked. From what I
can tell, as soon as drywall hit the market here, plaster was gone. I
assume these heater wires were only installed in plaster ceilings. Since
heat rises, it would not seem to be a very efficient way to heat, but
then I have absolutely no experience with them, so I could be dead
wrong. I would also imagine a lot were abandoned as central a/c was
added to the house. I also remember reading
predictions in those mags from the early 50's that in the future, like
the 1970s, nuke plants would be providing all our electricity, and it
would be produced so cheaply that the utility companies would not even
bother with meters, and just have a small flat rate fee to cover it's
minor operating expenses. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 15, 10:36*am, (lp13-30) wrote:
[...]

The house was my father-in-laws house. I really don't know how
efficient the heating was but it always felt warm. The basement
ceiling was covered with foil like paper and I often wondered if that
had anything to do with the heating system. I know he used to get
ticked if it got torn somehow.