Posted to alt.home.repair
rile[_2_] rile[_2_] is offline

Default Heated ceiling repair

On Jan 15, 10:36*am, (lp13-30) wrote:
Edwin is right. I have some Popular Science/Mechanics and Mechanics
Illustrated from the early thru late 50's and have seen them in there.
Never knew how common they were, or how well they worked. From what I
can tell, as soon as drywall hit the market here, plaster was gone. I
assume these heater wires were only installed in plaster ceilings. Since
heat rises, it would not seem to be a very efficient way to heat, but
then I have absolutely no experience with them, so I could be dead
wrong. I would also imagine a lot were abandoned as central a/c was
added to the house. * * * * * * * * * * *I also remember reading
predictions in those mags from the early 50's that in the future, like
the 1970s, nuke plants would be providing all our electricity, and it
would be produced so cheaply that the utility companies would not even
bother with meters, and just have a small flat rate fee to cover it's
minor operating expenses. * * * * * * * * *Larry

The house was my father-in-laws house. I really don't know how
efficient the heating was but it always felt warm. The basement
ceiling was covered with foil like paper and I often wondered if that
had anything to do with the heating system. I know he used to get
ticked if it got torn somehow.