Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

Default Heated ceiling repair

wrote:
I have heated ceilings in a 60 year old house. The problem is one
area of ceiling about 4 feet by 4 feet has multiple cracks and is now
sagging.
I have no problem with such repairs but am a little wary of the
heating wires and not sure how to go about reconnecting the ceiling
since I can't just tear in out.
Has anyone attempted this kind of repair. Any help is appreciated.

rile42;

I'm fairly familiar with the Emerson Electric Ceiling heat. Popular during
the 60's when all electric homes were being built.

Unfortunately, today the electric heating elements are no longer available
and a splice kit also is not available. Your options are limited to an
electric baseboard heater. The baseboard heater can be installed below the
wall thermostat [where 220volt feed is already available] at the floor
level. This is a solution to a mis-hap that caused the ceiling wiring to
fail [usually caused by either a water leak from the roof, a un-informed
plumber who tearing the ceiling out to install new copper piping, or someone
who decided to replace the ceiling for whatever reason.]

--
Zyp