Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Molding style question

Can I put victorian style casing i.e. fluted casing and rosettes, in a
hip-roof Colonial? Wifey likes the look but I want to be sure it's an
appropriate style for the house (which happens to be more traditional).
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

JohnnyC wrote:
Can I put victorian style casing i.e. fluted casing and rosettes, in a
hip-roof Colonial? Wifey likes the look but I want to be sure it's an
appropriate style for the house (which happens to be more traditional).

"Can", sure...is it appropriate? Well, since Victorian didn't come
until roughly mid-19th century you're about a 100 years late if it's
really "Colonial". Depends on whether it's really an historic-vintage
house or just a recent stylized version as to how truly desecrating it
might be...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 3:28 pm, "JohnnyC" wrote:
Can I put victorian style casing i.e. fluted casing and rosettes, in a
hip-roof Colonial? Wifey likes the look but I want to be sure it's an
appropriate style for the house (which happens to be more traditional).
Thanks.

General rule 1 - marital harmony trumps appropriateness of details
unless your house is or should be on the National Register.

General rule 2 - changing details that don't materially impact or ruin
an edifice is acceptable.

You pass on both counts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JohnnyC wrote:
Can I put victorian style casing i.e. fluted casing and rosettes, in a
hip-roof Colonial? Wifey likes the look but I want to be sure it's an
appropriate style for the house (which happens to be more
traditional). Thanks.

Sarah said to God: "How can I bear a child when my husband is so old?"
(later)
God said to Abraham: "Sarah asked how could she bear a child since she is so
old...?"

The rabbis hold that God lied to Abraham so that maritial discord should not
occur.

Go with the rosettes. Maybe gargoyles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JohnnyC wrote:

Can I put victorian style casing i.e. fluted casing and rosettes, in a
hip-roof Colonial? Wifey likes the look but I want to be sure it's an
appropriate style for the house (which happens to be more traditional).
Thanks.

You can put in anything you like, of course. A big part of the
decision, if it was mine to make,
would be what kind of woodwork is there now and what value to the whole
house does it have.
If you have an old home with solid oak woodwork, you could slash the
value by putting in lower
quality/style of wood. But, then, you live in it so make it the way you
like it. The older the home,
the more serious consideration I would give it. And I might keep all
the trim that I replace. Just
don't hang blue chickens all over the place )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 2:28 pm, "JohnnyC" wrote:
Can I put victorian style casing i.e. fluted casing and rosettes, in a
hip-roof Colonial? Wifey likes the look but I want to be sure it's an
appropriate style for the house (which happens to be more traditional).
Thanks.

First of all, I am assuming that your house is "Colonial Revival" and
not "Colonial" (built before 1820's).

My second assumption is that you are talking about interior casing,
not exterior details.

Our local historic preservation guru says "be true to your style".
Our last house was Victorian, the one before that was Arts & Crafts,
and our current is Colonial Revival. They all have their charms, and
we try to be consistent with the architecture between the outside and
inside. You might want to consider the potential impact on resale
value before simply letting your wife "have her way".

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 11, 2:28*pm, "JohnnyC" wrote:
Can I put victorian style casing i.e. fluted casing and rosettes, in a
hip-roof Colonial? *Wifey likes the look but I want to be sure it's an
appropriate style for the house (which happens to be more traditional).
Thanks.

If you're considering the skinny casings and under 3" rosettes at the
box stores, they look really tacky next to real Victorian wood work.
My neighbor is rehabbing a real Victorian and is getting a lot of wood
work from our local historic salvage operation. I think he learned his
lesson from first using the box store material. You may have a
builders salvage operation in your area, so check out the
possibilities. HTH

Joe