Brian Siano

Default Planer and Molding Machine question

Which planers can be used as molding machines? If so, how difficult
would it be to get special molding blades made for, say, a Dewalt planer?
Duane Bozarth

Brian Siano wrote:

Which planers can be used as molding machines? If so, how difficult
would it be to get special molding blades made for, say, a Dewalt planer?

Planer/moulders are customized versions to handle the moulding
head/knives. I don't think it's feasible/possible to grind knives for an
ordinary planer for moulding. Someone else may have some "trick" I'm
unaware of...
David

The word "impossible" comes to mind...

Dave

Brian Siano wrote:

If so, how difficult
would it be to get special molding blades made for, say, a Dewalt planer?

Chuck Taylor

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:33:02 -0400, Brian Siano
wrote:

Which planers can be used as molding machines? If so, how difficult
would it be to get special molding blades made for, say, a Dewalt planer?

JET JPM-13, for starters.

Brian Siano wrote:
Which planers can be used as molding machines? If so, how difficult
would it be to get special molding blades made for, say, a Dewalt planer?

Jet , Grizzly and Woodmaster machines.Woodmaster is the best in my
opinion.
mike

D Steck

"Brian Siano" wrote in message
Which planers can be used as molding machines? If so, how difficult would
it be to get special molding blades made for, say, a Dewalt planer?

I have the Jet planer / molder and just for the first time this week made
some moldings. Jet makes a multitude of matched set knives for the molder
but I needed a custom knife. I originally started thinking I was going to
need a matched set of three but when I talked to Ballew in Springfield MO,
they had a great deal of experience with the Jet and convinced me that a
single knife would suffice. I was making a 4.5" wide piece of molding so I
had to remove the planning knives (for widths 2" and under the Jet provides
you the opportunity to install the molding knives w/o removing the planing
knives. Anyway, Ballew set me up with the custom knife and a gib for it as
well as gibs and weights for the other two spots in the cutter head. Price
was $100. I was using 5/4 Cherry and it came out very nicely. It took me
about 1 hour to set everything up but I needed to make the bed board and the
guide rails. If I didn't have to do that, it would have been about 15
minutes. I'm not sure how long it will take me to put the planer knives
back in.

Ballew was against trying to make 3 knives because they didn't have the
ability to create a custom set of knives that were perfectly matched and
balanced. They also said that most folks with the Jet, only order a single
knife unless they're running over 600 feet of molding. But if you're doing
that, then the Jet probably isn't the machine you want anyway.

When I ordered the Jet, I had a Delta 13" planer. I originally thought I'd
sell it but I have both now. Since I work mutiple projects at once, I'm
glad I kept the Delta. I'm still not finished with the molding as I ran out
of Cherry but instead of running to buy more (don't feel like making the
trip in this St. Louis heat), I just changed projects and am using the Delta
to do the planing instead of removing the molding knife from the Jet.

Rumpty

You could also use the "Delta Moulding Head" and knives on the TS/RAS.

--

Rumpty

"Brian Siano" wrote in message
Which planers can be used as molding machines? If so, how difficult
would it be to get special molding blades made for, say, a Dewalt planer?

Duane Bozarth

Charlie Self wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:

I'm partial to something on the order of

http://www.baileys-online.com/planer-moulder.htm

Yeah, met, too, but I kind of doubt that's what the OP had in mind.

Think???

I've wished to start a millwork shop, but I'm in such a remote area
there's just no demand to justify it...