Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TSP versus TSP substitute

OK, went to Lowes and found both of these on the shelf. So what's the
deal?

I understand that the "substitute" has no phosphates, and there are
communities that properly discourage phosphate pollution. My community
isn't one of these (unfortunately), but then why are both on the
shelf? Is environmental protection all there is to this?

I'm not using a lot, and I frankly would just like the chemical that
works best. Which does? The price is the same. I'd be happy to use the
"substitute" if it doesn't work much less efficiently. If the "real
thing" works better, then I'd just get it, and use it carefully.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 15:31:45 -0800 (PST), Doug Lassiter
wrote:

OK, went to Lowes and found both of these on the shelf. So what's the
deal?

I understand that the "substitute" has no phosphates, and there are
communities that properly discourage phosphate pollution. My community
isn't one of these (unfortunately), but then why are both on the
shelf? Is environmental protection all there is to this?

If you can buy real TSP, do that; it really works well. The
substitute (minus the phosphate, and probably called TS therefore)
works well, too, but I still miss Soilax, which I can't find here
anymore. Yes, environmental protection is the main issue as I
understand it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
OK, went to Lowes and found both of these on the shelf. So what's the
deal?

I understand that the "substitute" has no phosphates, and there are
communities that properly discourage phosphate pollution. My community
isn't one of these (unfortunately), but then why are both on the
shelf? Is environmental protection all there is to this?

If you can buy real TSP, do that; it really works well. The
substitute (minus the phosphate, and probably called TS therefore)
works well, too, but I still miss Soilax, which I can't find here
anymore. Yes, environmental protection is the main issue as I
understand it.

Just a little odd as, if they both work, and they both cost the same,
why would Lowes want to put both on the shelves? They could bump up
the price on the substitute a few pennies and call it "new, improved,
and environmentally responsible". Of course, in the interest of
"consumer choice", they put three brands of paper towels up on their
shelves for the same price as well.

In some sense, I have to assume Lowes thinks that the real TSP works
better.

I bought a pound of the substitute, but I don't have any of the
original left to compare it with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
KLS wrote:

I still miss Soilax, which I can't find here
anymore.

I tried to stretch my last little box of Soilax as long as I could.
I found this info on thekitchendrawer.com -

****SORRY - AS OF 1/1/05, RCN PRODUCTS HAS DISCONTINUED MANUFACTURING THIS
PRODUCT****Professional strength Soilax for cleaning walls. Wallpaper,
floors, ceilings and finished woodwork. Non-sudsing Soilax won't scratch,
smear, dull or streak. Soilax removes dirt grease & sticky film on contact.
Soilax cleans without rinsing. 16 oz powder. *****PLEASE TRY "SOILMAX", NOW
AVAILABLE AS A REPLACEMENT FOR THIS PRODUCT*******

Have never seen "Soilmax" either.
--
Chuck in Detroit
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 00:24:35 -0500, Chuck Reti
wrote:

In article ,
KLS wrote:

I still miss Soilax, which I can't find here
anymore.

I tried to stretch my last little box of Soilax as long as I could.
I found this info on thekitchendrawer.com -

****SORRY - AS OF 1/1/05, RCN PRODUCTS HAS DISCONTINUED MANUFACTURING THIS
PRODUCT****Professional strength Soilax for cleaning walls. Wallpaper,
floors, ceilings and finished woodwork. Non-sudsing Soilax won't scratch,
smear, dull or streak. Soilax removes dirt grease & sticky film on contact.
Soilax cleans without rinsing. 16 oz powder. *****PLEASE TRY "SOILMAX", NOW
AVAILABLE AS A REPLACEMENT FOR THIS PRODUCT*******

Have never seen "Soilmax" either.

Thanks for posting this. I was shocked to realize last year that
Soilax was no longer available, so reading this is helpful. Great
product, Soilax, nothing else works as well. I'll keep an eye out for
Soilmax, but I don't think it's available here as I would have noticed
it in my recent quest for the original.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 5:31 pm, Doug Lassiter wrote:
OK, went to Lowes and found both of these on the shelf. So what's the
deal?

I understand that the "substitute" has no phosphates, and there are
communities that properly discourage phosphate pollution. My community
isn't one of these (unfortunately), but then why are both on the
shelf? Is environmental protection all there is to this?

I'm not using a lot, and I frankly would just like the chemical that
works best. Which does? The price is the same. I'd be happy to use the
"substitute" if it doesn't work much less efficiently. If the "real
thing" works better, then I'd just get it, and use it carefully.

I'm going to bump this up, because I didn't really get an answer.

Does TSP substitute work as well as a cleaner as TSP?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 15:31:51 -0800 (PST), Doug Lassiter wrote:
Does TSP substitute work as well as a cleaner as TSP?

In my experience...
* the substitute does not clean as well.
* the substitute is not as harsh on skin
* ditto re. surfaces (i.e. it doesn't degloss)

For how I use TSP, I want TSP not some kinder, gentler alternative.

sdb
--
What's seen on your screen? http://PcScreenWatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com