Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heating duct to attic?

It's about my 40-yr old 2-storey house in midwest Canada. After taking off
part of basement ceiling, I found something weird with a heating duct. It
runs up from basement to main floor along an exterior wall (built into the
fiberglass insulation), and maybe further up to the second floor, and to
attic??? I'm sure no heating vent in the house uses this duct. I just can't
figure out where is goes. It sends hot air to attic to do heating? possible
for an old house?

please help solve the mystery. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks. but it's a hot air duct...

"buffalobill" wrote in message
On Jan 3, 1:41 am, "John91" wrote:
It's about my 40-yr old 2-storey house in midwest Canada. After taking
off
part of basement ceiling, I found something weird with a heating duct. It
runs up from basement to main floor along an exterior wall (built into
the
fiberglass insulation), and maybe further up to the second floor, and to
attic??? I'm sure no heating vent in the house uses this duct. I just
can't
figure out where is goes. It sends hot air to attic to do heating?
possible
for an old house?

please help solve the mystery. Thanks.

cold air return. fresh air supply for combustion. laundry chute. wire
chase. radon vent. ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John91" wrote in message
It's about my 40-yr old 2-storey house in midwest Canada. After taking off
part of basement ceiling, I found something weird with a heating duct. It
runs up from basement to main floor along an exterior wall (built into the
fiberglass insulation), and maybe further up to the second floor, and to
attic??? I'm sure no heating vent in the house uses this duct. I just
can't figure out where is goes. It sends hot air to attic to do heating?
possible for an old house?

please help solve the mystery. Thanks.

You said "to attic???" That's a question only you can answer. Have you gone
up in the attic to take a look?

Separate question: On the 2nd floor, where are the heat vents? Floor? Wall?
Ceiling?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 1:41*am, "John91" wrote:
It's about my 40-yr old 2-storey house in midwest Canada. After taking off
part of basement ceiling, I found something weird with a heating duct. It
runs up from basement to main floor along an exterior wall (built into the
fiberglass insulation), and maybe further up to the second floor, and to
attic??? I'm sure no heating vent in the house uses this duct. I just can't
figure out where is goes. It sends hot air to attic to do heating? possible
for an old house?

please help solve the mystery. Thanks.

You said "and maybe further up to the second floor, and to attic???"

If you don't know where it ends, that would be the first thing find
out. No sense in wondering if and/or why it "sends hot air to attic to
do heating" if you aren't even sure if it extends that far. It could
be something as simple as a 1st or 2nd floor duct that was taken out
of service during a remodel.

Maybe you could try running a piece of stiff material, like romex or
something, up the duct to see it was capped off or even left open. I
think you'd feel a difference if the duct is open and the romex hit
either insulation or open air. Once you feel the difference, mark the
romex, pull it out and measure it to see where the duct ends.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"John91" wrote in message
It's about my 40-yr old 2-storey house in midwest Canada. After taking
off part of basement ceiling, I found something weird with a heating
duct. It runs up from basement to main floor along an exterior wall
(built into the fiberglass insulation), and maybe further up to the
second floor, and to attic??? I'm sure no heating vent in the house uses
this duct. I just can't figure out where is goes. It sends hot air to
attic to do heating? possible for an old house?

please help solve the mystery. Thanks.

You said "to attic???" That's a question only you can answer. Have you
gone up in the attic to take a look?

good question. From the manhole, I treid to look at that direction and find
something with a flahslight. but hard to see as there's pretty thick
insulation. Don't want to crawl in there, I'm very sensitive to the fiber.

Separate question: On the 2nd floor, where are the heat vents? Floor?
Wall? Ceiling?

If it runs on the 2nd floor, must still be the rectangle shape duct, inside
the exterior wall. The hot air duct in basement changes to the rectangle
when turning up into the wall at the basement header.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John91" wrote in message
It's about my 40-yr old 2-storey house in midwest Canada. After taking
off part of basement ceiling, I found something weird with a heating
duct. It runs up from basement to main floor along an exterior wall
(built into the fiberglass insulation), and maybe further up to the
second floor, and to attic??? I'm sure no heating vent in the house uses
this duct. I just can't figure out where is goes. It sends hot air to
attic to do heating? possible for an old house?

please help solve the mystery. Thanks.

You said "to attic???" That's a question only you can answer. Have you
gone up in the attic to take a look?

good question. From the manhole, I treid to look at that direction and
find something with a flahslight. but hard to see as there's pretty thick
insulation. Don't want to crawl in there, I'm very sensitive to the fiber.

Everybody is sensitive to fiberglass, except macho liars who claim they
aren't. Put on a long sleeve shirt with rubber bands around the sleeves. Put
rubber bands around the ankles of your pants. Put on a breather mask, hat
and gloves. When you're done looking around, head straight for the washing
machine and wash the clothing with cold water.

However, check out DerbyDad's suggestion first - probing with stiff wire
from various locations.

Separate question: On the 2nd floor, where are the heat vents? Floor?
Wall? Ceiling?

If it runs on the 2nd floor, must still be the rectangle shape duct,
inside the exterior wall. The hot air duct in basement changes to the
rectangle when turning up into the wall at the basement header.

That doesn't answer my question. Someplace on the 2nd floor, heat comes out
of holes. Where are those holes? Floor? Walls? Ceiling?

Posted to alt.home.repair

will find a romex and do it as advised.

I want to take the duct in the basement out if it's out of service. just
afraid it could be "necessary" heating to attic or somewhere. if not, it
must be abandoned by a previous owner.

thanks.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jan 3, 1:41 am, "John91" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

John91 wrote:
It's about my 40-yr old 2-storey house in midwest Canada. After taking off
part of basement ceiling, I found something weird with a heating duct. It
runs up from basement to main floor along an exterior wall (built into the
fiberglass insulation), and maybe further up to the second floor, and to
attic??? I'm sure no heating vent in the house uses this duct. I just can't
figure out where is goes. It sends hot air to attic to do heating? possible
for an old house?

please help solve the mystery. Thanks.

probably there to help prevents ice dams from forming on the edge
of the roof during winter!

paul oman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 6:09*pm, Paul Oman wrote:
John91 wrote:
It's about my 40-yr old 2-storey house in midwest Canada. After taking off
part of basement ceiling, I found something weird with a heating duct. It
runs up from basement to main floor along an exterior wall (built into the
fiberglass insulation), and maybe further up to the second floor, and to
attic??? I'm sure no heating vent in the house uses this duct. I just can't
figure out where is goes. It sends hot air to attic to do heating? possible
for an old house?

please help solve the mystery. Thanks.

probably there to help prevents ice dams from forming on the edge
of the roof during winter!

paul oman

How would a single duct help prevent ice dams?
Posted to alt.home.repair

John91 wrote:
It's about my 40-yr old 2-storey house in midwest Canada. After taking
off
part of basement ceiling, I found something weird with a heating duct.
It
runs up from basement to main floor along an exterior wall (built into
the
fiberglass insulation), and maybe further up to the second floor, and to
attic??? I'm sure no heating vent in the house uses this duct. I just
can't
figure out where is goes. It sends hot air to attic to do heating?
possible
for an old house?

please help solve the mystery. Thanks.

probably there to help prevents ice dams from forming on the edge
of the roof during winter!

paul oman

How would a single duct help prevent ice dams?

++++++++++++++=

I'm pretty sure he was kidding. I hope he was.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you thought about contacting the former owner about it? When I
had a question, the people who sold me the house were happy to answer
questions (questions, not complaints). And I expect to do the same
when I sell the place.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)

Cat Pee in the Heating Duct! [email protected] Home Repair 26 March 26th 20 11:09 PM
Heating duct insulation John61 Home Repair 3 October 24th 07 12:05 AM
Heating Duct Cleaning LDR Home Repair 5 November 8th 05 10:39 PM
New HVAC question - duct heat/colling loss in attic MC Home Repair 10 May 5th 05 03:53 AM
thump sund in heating duct t&k Home Repair 7 December 30th 04 09:18 PM