Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heating duct insulation

Hi,
The sheet metal ducts from furnace run around in my basement. I wonder if it
is worthwhile to wrap them with some kind of insulation? I guess there must
be a huge heat loss down there.
Any advice?
John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 1:24 am, "John61" wrote:
Hi,
The sheet metal ducts from furnace run around in my basement. I wonder if it
is worthwhile to wrap them with some kind of insulation? I guess there must
be a huge heat loss down there.
Any advice?
John

I did mine because in the summer the AC made the basement to cool,
Insulate and you will be cooler in winter , if you use your basement
you might need a new supply cut in for the basement, If you go ahead
there is duct insulation, mine are circular, I removed the ducts slid
on insulation and sealed the joints with mastic.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

John61 wrote:
Hi,
The sheet metal ducts from furnace run around in my basement. I
wonder if it is worthwhile to wrap them with some kind of insulation?
I guess there must be a huge heat loss down there.
Any advice?
John

John61;

Is the basement occupied? Do you want to keep the basement warm to prevent
your water pipes from freezing? Generally speaking, heat rises anyway. If
it's a unoccupied area, you might want to insulate. You can purchase 1"
fiberglass insulation [for this purpose] in 100' x 72" rolls. Cut what you
need to go around the pipe [either square or round] and secure with spray
glue, wire, or nail [like a diaper] or both.

--
Zyp

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Zyp" wrote in message
news:Z5qdnYAD3oJcpIPanZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@championbroa dband.com...
John61 wrote:
Hi,
The sheet metal ducts from furnace run around in my basement. I
wonder if it is worthwhile to wrap them with some kind of insulation?
I guess there must be a huge heat loss down there.
Any advice?
John

John61;

Is the basement occupied? Do you want to keep the basement warm to

prevent
your water pipes from freezing?

Freezing pipes in a basement? Not likely.