Posted to alt.home.repair
John61 John61 is offline

Default Heating duct to attic?

will find a romex and do it as advised.

I want to take the duct in the basement out if it's out of service. just
afraid it could be "necessary" heating to attic or somewhere. if not, it
must be abandoned by a previous owner.

thanks.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jan 3, 1:41 am, "John91" wrote:
It's about my 40-yr old 2-storey house in midwest Canada. After taking off
part of basement ceiling, I found something weird with a heating duct. It
runs up from basement to main floor along an exterior wall (built into the
fiberglass insulation), and maybe further up to the second floor, and to
attic??? I'm sure no heating vent in the house uses this duct. I just
can't
figure out where is goes. It sends hot air to attic to do heating?
possible
for an old house?

please help solve the mystery. Thanks.

You said "and maybe further up to the second floor, and to attic???"

If you don't know where it ends, that would be the first thing find
out. No sense in wondering if and/or why it "sends hot air to attic to
do heating" if you aren't even sure if it extends that far. It could
be something as simple as a 1st or 2nd floor duct that was taken out
of service during a remodel.

Maybe you could try running a piece of stiff material, like romex or
something, up the duct to see it was capped off or even left open. I
think you'd feel a difference if the duct is open and the romex hit
either insulation or open air. Once you feel the difference, mark the
romex, pull it out and measure it to see where the duct ends.