Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Honeywell Electronic Air cleaner problem

My electronic air cleaner won't come on with the electronic filters
inserted and the furnace fan on.

They are inserted with the arrows pointing correct for air flow, they
are sitting up, with the red contact pads facing up, and the access
door is on correctly. I push the switch to the ON position, it does
not light up.

After washing them, I did notice one fine wire was missing on one
filter, there are two filters for the 4" 16x25" area. Does that
matter?

I take out the filters, the light turns on.

Any ideas?
samurai.
Posted to alt.home.repair

After washing them, I did notice one fine wire was missing on one
filter, there are two filters for the 4" 16x25" area. Does that
matter?

I take out the filters, the light turns on.

Were the filters DRY when you reinstalled them?

If the system fails to start when they are installed, there is obviously a
fault with one of them. Water could be causing a short, or something
similar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would try to put one in at a time.
Push one filter all the way in and
then try it. Do this to each filter.
If a wire is really missing, that's a
clue .... it might be there, but
shorting out.

samurai wrote:
My electronic air cleaner won't come on with the electronic filters
inserted and the furnace fan on.

They are inserted with the arrows pointing correct for air flow, they
are sitting up, with the red contact pads facing up, and the access
door is on correctly. I push the switch to the ON position, it does
not light up.

After washing them, I did notice one fine wire was missing on one
filter, there are two filters for the 4" 16x25" area. Does that
matter?

I take out the filters, the light turns on.

Any ideas?
samurai.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bubba" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 08:43:09 GMT, samurai
wrote:

My electronic air cleaner won't come on with the electronic filters
inserted and the furnace fan on.

They are inserted with the arrows pointing correct for air flow, they
are sitting up, with the red contact pads facing up, and the access
door is on correctly. I push the switch to the ON position, it does
not light up.

After washing them, I did notice one fine wire was missing on one
filter, there are two filters for the 4" 16x25" area. Does that
matter?

I take out the filters, the light turns on.

Any ideas?
samurai.

Being not a fan of electronic filters I would recommend getting a
pleated replacement throw a way filter. You will be amazed at the
amount of dirt it picks up and how much cleaner your table tops and
hardwood floors are.
That being said, your cell/s are shorting out. They may still have
moisture in them or it may actually just be shorted out and done for.
The missing ionizing wire wont stop it from working. That will just
reduce the effectiveness of the filtration in that area missing the
wire.
Like I say, try the media replacement. What have you got to lose? It
costs approximately $25 and will last for close to a year. IF you dont
like it, put those non cleaning air cleaner filters back in. :-)
Bubba

WTG, Bubba.

Every customer that we have given that advice to wished they had done it
years sooner. No more
"bug zapper" effects, less dust in the house, less expensive to use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bubba" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:13:08 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

"Im telling ya.......................
We put in a complete new 14 SEER heat pump" (variable speed) with
humidifier and Electro Air UST/SST air cleaner. We kept having
complaints about the cleaner popping too much but more so the owner
kept saying that "for an air cleaner, it aint cleaning too well." This
was an older but sprye couple in a meticulously clean condo. After
futzing and futzing with it, I finally ripped the damn cleaner out and
put in an SpaceGard 2200 media filter. Within a week the owner called
me back and praised how well the filter was taking care of his
hardwood floors and table tops (no more dust). Cant believe I screwed
with it that long. That was the last Electronic Ive used besides the
Aprilaire 5000 electronic air cleaner which has a media filter in it
too.
Bubba

Yep. We do nothing but Spaceguards and the Honeywell F200s. I'd say 95% of
the Spaceguards we put in, the media is only changed once a year.

But you know you will always have someone that "researchs on the internet"
and
INSIST that this model or that model EAC does the best job and they want it
installed.
Whatever the customer wants.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

samurai wrote:

My electronic air cleaner won't come on with the electronic filters
inserted and the furnace fan on.

They are inserted with the arrows pointing correct for air flow, they
are sitting up, with the red contact pads facing up, and the access
door is on correctly. I push the switch to the ON position, it does
not light up.

After washing them, I did notice one fine wire was missing on one
filter, there are two filters for the 4" 16x25" area. Does that
matter?

I take out the filters, the light turns on.

Any ideas?
samurai.

The "missing" wire isn't completely missing, but is shorting the plates.

Find it and remove it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:13:08 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

The Honeywell electrostatics have a media filter in them also, although
I believe that that may be washable.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.