Posted to alt.home.repair
jst jst is offline

Default Honeywell electronic air cleaner ?'s

I have a Honeywell electronic air filter that sits next to the furnace
and right off of the fresh air intake. The filter makes a sparking noise
when dust hits the filter and the filter has done a great job. The other
day the filter started to make the sparking noise continually and even
after I pulled it out and cleaned it thoroughly. Does anyone have any
experience with this type of filter.

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/Consum...ic/Default.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a electronic air filter that sits next to the furnace
and right off of the fresh air intake. The filter makes a
when dust hits the filter and the filter has done a great job. The other
day the filter started to make the continually and even
after I pulled it out and cleaned it thoroughly. Does anyone have any
experience with this type of filter.

http://yourhome..com/Consumer/Cultur...Air+Cleaners/E...

I had the same problem with my Honeywell electronic "dust zapper" filter
system. I pulled the electronic filter elements out one at a time and
found that the noise only occurred when one of the elements was installed.
I carefully inspected the "noisy" filter and found two of the fins
touching. I used a screwdriver to gently re-align the fins and get them
separated. I noticed that where they had been touching there was a little
dimple; probably where the spark was jumping continuously. I cleaned the
filters per the Honeywell instructions with a little dish washing
detergent followed with a very complete rinse. After letting them dry
completely I re-installed them and the sparking noise was gone.

Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 20:05:38 -0600, "Pabst"
wrote:

[...]

Another possible cause: The cover that you remove actuates a safety
switch that prevents the unit from operating with the cover removed.
(or maybe it just shorts out the high voltage when the covers off) The
arm that actuates the switch on mine is just a piece of sheet metal.
After a while it deformed a bit so it wasn't fully actuating when the
cover was on, causing a steady arcing sound. I just bent the sheet
metal a bit so it actuated fully when the cover is on, and it fixed
the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:31:04 -0600, jst wrote:

I have a Honeywell electronic air filter that sits next to the furnace
and right off of the fresh air intake. The filter makes a sparking noise
when dust hits the filter and the filter has done a great job. The other
day the filter started to make the sparking noise continually and even
after I pulled it out and cleaned it thoroughly. Does anyone have any
experience with this type of filter.

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/Consum...ic/Default.htm

Condensation dripping on the grid will pop. A possibility, especially
with a vertical system orientation.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--