Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dead odor in heating ducts

A few days ago I started to smell an odor coming out of heating ducts --
from all vents. This reminds me of rotten chicken.

If some animal did die in the heating ducts, how do you find and get rid of
it?

Can I hire a furnace vacuum truck to suck it out? They said they attach the
vacuum hose to the fan compartment of the furnace. I don't quite understand.
Do they remove the furnace to do this? And would this allow them to suck out
a small animal? This cost $250 and I'm not sure it would work.

Other suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"James" wrote in message
.. .
A few days ago I started to smell an odor coming out of heating ducts --
from all vents. This reminds me of rotten chicken.

If some animal did die in the heating ducts, how do you find and get rid
of it?

Can I hire a furnace vacuum truck to suck it out? They said they attach
the vacuum hose to the fan compartment of the furnace. I don't quite
understand. Do they remove the furnace to do this? And would this allow
them to suck out a small animal? This cost $250 and I'm not sure it would
work.

Other suggestions?

Just a guess, but I think a trapped animal would head toward the light for
an escape route. So, I would remove each first floor heat vent cover and use
a hand mirror & powerful flashlight to see if the creature was near the end
of a horizontal duct run just below a vent. Next, I'd investigate the
horizontal ducts in the basement to see if any were screwed together,
instead of riveted. You could unscrew them, and the rest should be self
explanatory. If you don't understand this idea, you may want to call your
regular heating contractor. Those people can easily disassemble riveted
ducts and put them back together.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Other suggestions?

Look in the compartment where the blower/filter usually is.

yeah the filter area tends to be the lowest, animal falls and get
trapped..... and dies.

call regular heating contractor this happens a lot

avoid disassembling ductwork unless you know what your doing. it can
be a mess.

a friends fell down, 2 people one entire day to reassemble

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 4:19*pm, " wrote:
Other suggestions?

Look in the compartment where the blower/filter usually is.

yeah the filter area tends to be the lowest, animal falls and get
trapped..... and dies.

call regular heating contractor this happens a lot

avoid disassembling ductwork unless you know what your doing. it can
be a mess.

a friends fell down, 2 people one entire day to reassemble

Look at the filter area
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Look in the compartment where the blower/filter usually is.

yeah the filter area tends to be the lowest, animal falls and get
trapped..... and dies.

call regular heating contractor this happens a lot

avoid disassembling ductwork unless you know what your doing. it can
be a mess.

a friends fell down, 2 people one entire day to reassemble

The filter is above the furnace in the garage. The return air comes from
above the garage, down through the furnace, then down into the crawlspace,
and then up into floor registers.

I already check the filter. Clean and odor free. I guess I will next try to
sniff each floor register when the furnace is off (yuck). If I don't find
one with a strong odor, then I guess I'll venture into the crawlspace and
explore the ducts there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "James" wrote:

I already check the filter. Clean and odor free. I guess I will next try to
sniff each floor register when the furnace is off (yuck). If I don't find
one with a strong odor, then I guess I'll venture into the crawlspace and
explore the ducts there.

If you suspect the odor comes from an expired mouse, I wouldn't
worry too much. It won't last long. Check the places you can
check easily. But I wouldn't start ripping out ducts or drywall
for a single mouse.

Of course, if you suspect a larger animal, a more extensive
search would be appropriate.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |