Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Man dies in fall fixing roof

"[BELOIT, Wis.] The 91st richest man in the U.S., a roofing company
billionaire, has died after falling through his home garage's roof, local
authorities said today."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/5397413.html

My irony meter assploded.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
"[BELOIT, Wis.] The 91st richest man in the U.S., a roofing company
billionaire, has died after falling through his home garage's roof, local
authorities said today."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/5397413.html

My irony meter assploded.

The story doesn't even touch on the man's gifts to his community. He's been
buying old industrial buildings that others only felt were fit to tear down,
restoring them and finding new tenants. The city of Beloit is heartbroken
over the loss. I dare say he was one man, truly, without enemies.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The story doesn't even touch on the man's gifts to his community. He's
been buying old industrial buildings that others only felt were fit to
tear down, restoring them and finding new tenants. The city of Beloit is
heartbroken over the loss. I dare say he was one man, truly, without
enemies.

Sounds like he worked for every penny of his fortune and got a few splinters
along the way. Unlike these guys on Wall Street...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:26:40 GMT, Tom G wrote:

The story doesn't even touch on the man's gifts to his community. He's been
buying old industrial buildings that others only felt were fit to tear down,
restoring them and finding new tenants. The city of Beloit is heartbroken
over the loss. I dare say he was one man, truly, without enemies.

Tom G.

I was born and raised in the Beloit area.

This man was an "accidental" billionaire.

He loved what he was doing. Because he loved what he was doing he did it
extremely well. Because he did it extremely well he became extremely rich
in the process - although that is not what he set out to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kuskokwim" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:26:40 GMT, Tom G wrote:

The story doesn't even touch on the man's gifts to his community. He's
been
buying old industrial buildings that others only felt were fit to tear
down,
restoring them and finding new tenants. The city of Beloit is
heartbroken
over the loss. I dare say he was one man, truly, without enemies.

Tom G.

I was born and raised in the Beloit area.

This man was an "accidental" billionaire.

He loved what he was doing. Because he loved what he was doing he did it
extremely well. Because he did it extremely well he became extremely rich
in the process - although that is not what he set out to do.

I think you're right. He made the comment, something to this effect, that
he wasn't rich because he would have to sell the company to spend the money
and he would never do that. His friends have been making the statement that
he was as down to earth, a every day kind of a guy that ever there was. By
the way, I've lived in Roscoe, all my life except for a 17 year stint in
Arizona. Now back here, 5 yrs, and until this year had wondered what
happened to Winter.

Tom B.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 12/22/2007 4:34 PM HeyBub said the following:
"[BELOIT, Wis.] The 91st richest man in the U.S., a roofing company
billionaire, has died after falling through his home garage's roof, local
authorities said today."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/5397413.html

My irony meter assploded.

Story was corrected to read that he fell off a subfloor under
construction over his garage.
The roof angle was probably a fig-newton of the reporter.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom G wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
"[BELOIT, Wis.] The 91st richest man in the U.S., a roofing company
billionaire, has died after falling through his home garage's roof, local
authorities said today."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/5397413.html

My irony meter assploded.

The story doesn't even touch on the man's gifts to his community. He's been
buying old industrial buildings that others only felt were fit to tear down,
restoring them and finding new tenants. The city of Beloit is heartbroken
over the loss. I dare say he was one man, truly, without enemies.

Tom G.

I got to know a guy like that when I was a kid. He fought in WWII and
came home and started a number of businesses with each failing until he
hit upon something he loved. He made a large fortune doing it but you
would never know he was wealthy. He loved to anonymously do things for
people and the community unlike the modern phonies who need to put out a
press release and have a photo op session to show how "generous" they
are because they just donated pocket change (for them) to something.

This guy was also the same in that he kept really active until he passed
on.

Fixing a rubber roof (help!) [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 15th 06 06:01 AM
Fixing a roof truss Tim Downie UK diy 27 March 12th 06 08:27 PM
Will my roof fall down? (Previously under 'Home repair') Cameron UK diy 1 January 29th 06 04:44 PM
taps: dies and rethreading dies Nick Hull Metalworking 3 February 22nd 05 10:51 PM
Will Santa will fall through the roof? - AKA - Bostitch or Porter Cable Roofing Nailer? Dr. Know Woodworking 7 November 8th 03 07:36 PM