Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My well tank sprung a leak

Last night I turned on my water and found there was none. At first I
thought that a pipe froze. Then I go to the pit where my tank is. It
took hours to even get in there since the entry was buried in ice and
snow. In that underground pit is my tank with the pressure switch.
The instant I looked in there I knew there was a big problem. The pit
had over 4 feet of water in it, my bladder tank was sideways more or
less floating as the plastic pipes were still attached. The pressure
switch electrical part was under water (yet the breaker never blew).

I shut off the power and put a sump pump in there and pumped it out.
After it was empty, I put the tank back on it's base, checked all the
piping for breaks (none existed), and thoroughly dried out the
pressure switch. I turned it back on and it worked again. That's
when I noticed a small pinhole leak in the tank blasting against the
wall of the pit.

OK, I need a new tank, but it's going to be a few weeks until I can
afford one. I took some JB Weld and glued a sheetmetal screw into the
hole. I am going to let it dry all day before I turn it back on, and
got some bottled water from a neighbor for the day.
My question is whether this will hold? I know JB Weld is pretty
strong. I scraped all the paint to the bare metal before I applied
the JB Weld. I found a thick screw that threaded in tightly, put the
JB under the head and tightened it. Then I spread the JB all over the
area next to the tank, covering about one inch all the way around the
screw.

Has anyone done this?

PS. The bladder is still fine. I drained all the water before I did
this patch and used a torch to get it totally dry. I released all
the air from the bladder too, not that it was necessary, since the
bladder is in the top of the tank, the leak is in the bottom. I have
since refilled the tank air in the bladder without any air coming out
of the water drain valve, which is still open while the JB dries.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It'll probably work, but I won't consider it permanent. I did the same
repair on an oil pan, and it held but weeped a little. I suspect you
will find the same.

If you could braze it that might work better, but I understand that that
might be problematic given the weather and location.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable temporary fix. With the threads from
the screw taking most of the load, the JB Weld should work fine. Leave
the sump pump in place so if it does start leaking again at least the
tank won't end up floating again. Replace the tank as soon as you can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

If the bladder hits the screw inside the tank, I would ecpect the screw to
puncture the bladder quickly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 12/18/2007 4:27 PM said the following:
[...]

Many pressure tanks have the bladder in the bottom and it is that which
fills with water, while above the bladder, the tank is filled with the
pressurized air. You may have put the screw through the rubber bladder.
The water may leak out of the bladder under pressure and fill the area
around the bladder, and possibly into the air chamber.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 2:49 am, willshak wrote:
[...]

To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

Not familiar with bladder tanks; but based on our experieeince with
non-bladder tanks if there is enough air retained in the tank to
provide pressure it may work ok for while?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 18, 4:27 pm, wrote:
My question is whether this will hold? I know JB Weld is pretty
strong. .... Has anyone done this?

I have heard of similar repairs holding temporarily. It would be wise
to shut off the pump and drain the pressure when you're not using it.
Should it fail, that pool of water will wash dirt into the well.

Toilet Tank Leak - Maybe a cracked tank? Pokee Home Repair 7 January 15th 07 08:29 AM
well pressure tank leak-fail Lynn Home Repair 5 January 8th 07 03:40 PM
Hot Water Tank Leak rburr49 UK diy 4 April 13th 06 09:23 PM
leak in thermal expansion tank [email protected] Home Repair 5 October 26th 05 10:00 AM
Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM