Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Briggs and Stratton Electronic Ignition Retrofit

Hello:
I hope to convert the ignition on a Briggs and Stratton engine from
points to Magnetron (electronic). The instructions that I find at the
Briggs and Stratton Web site say that I must remove the flywheel, but
it's not clear to me why. The generator that uses the engine does not
have a stop switch, and I don't see why I can't just cut the armature
primary wire and if necessary solder on some extra wire without having
to remove the flywheel. Am I correct? Or, will I need to remove the
flywheel to get at some armature mounting screws or something else?
The engine is Model - 100232 Type - 0427-01 Code - 73121307.
To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address.
Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 14:59:19 -0400, George wrote:

Hello:
I hope to convert the ignition on a Briggs and Stratton engine from
points to Magnetron (electronic). The instructions that I find at the
Briggs and Stratton Web site say that I must remove the flywheel, but
it's not clear to me why. The generator that uses the engine does not
have a stop switch, and I don't see why I can't just cut the armature
primary wire and if necessary solder on some extra wire without having
to remove the flywheel. Am I correct? Or, will I need to remove the
flywheel to get at some armature mounting screws or something else?
The engine is Model - 100232 Type - 0427-01 Code - 73121307.
To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address.
Thank you.

I've never converted an engine to electronic. BS recommends it, so
what does the Magnetron site suggest?

I think you want to remove points and condenser and screws, or other
parts that are not necessary under the flywheel.

two cents...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
Hello:
I hope to convert the ignition on a Briggs and Stratton engine from
points to Magnetron (electronic). The instructions that I find at the
Briggs and Stratton Web site say that I must remove the flywheel, but
it's not clear to me why. The generator that uses the engine does not
have a stop switch, and I don't see why I can't just cut the armature
primary wire and if necessary solder on some extra wire without having
to remove the flywheel. Am I correct? Or, will I need to remove the
flywheel to get at some armature mounting screws or something else?
The engine is Model - 100232 Type - 0427-01 Code - 73121307.
To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address.
Thank you.

The flywheel is removed to cut the primary and kill wires at the dust cover. If you remove
the points (not necessary), then you have to install a plug in the plunger hole.

So yes, you could just solder an extension ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

ive left the points in while doing the conversion. theres a plug
you get with a new magnatron that is used for plugging the hole the
points rod is in, so theres no chance of an oil leak , but they usually
dont leak. if your putting in a new flywheel key also ,it isnt much more
work to take the points out and plug the points rod hole... lucas