Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Briggs and Stratton Electronic Ignition Retrofit

Hello:
I hope to convert the ignition on a Briggs and Stratton engine from
points to Magnetron (electronic). The instructions that I find at the
Briggs and Stratton Web site say that I must remove the flywheel, but
it's not clear to me why. The generator that uses the engine does not
have a stop switch, and I don't see why I can't just cut the armature
primary wire and if necessary solder on some extra wire without having
to remove the flywheel. Am I correct? Or, will I need to remove the
flywheel to get at some armature mounting screws or something else?
The engine is Model - 100232 Type - 0427-01 Code - 73121307.
To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address.
Thank you.