Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default ot a bit, need new tire suggestions

I need new tires on a 2007 half ton (2 wheel drive) Chevy Silverado
pickup. The originals are General (Ugh) and have not lasted well.
I rotate tires every other oil change and check inflation at least
monthly. Still at under 30,000 miles, the tread is badly worn down
and I doubt if it would pass inspection.

So I would like suggestions on brands and things to look for.

Next question: Do extra ply tires wear better and what are other
advantages and disadvantages?

Is braking distance a factor in brands and extra ply?

All suggestions are appreciated, and thanks for reading.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

On Dec 16, 5:00 am, "Bob" wrote:
I need new tires on a 2007 half ton (2 wheel drive) Chevy Silverado
pickup. The originals are General (Ugh) and have not lasted well.

I find that odd. My last General tires lasted over 60,000. But I
couldn't tell
you how many miles are on my current tires. No doubt you got the
cheaper
model tires that came with the truck. Since you don't like those, all
I can
tell you is that I stay away from Michelean (probebly spelled wrong)
but always
by my tires at Sam's club. By the time you add the tire and
installation together,
it comes to about 60% of the cost of a regular tire store.
Lou

Ask over at alt.autos.gm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 05:00:27 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

I need new tires on a 2007 half ton (2 wheel drive) Chevy Silverado
pickup. The originals are General (Ugh) and have not lasted well.
I rotate tires every other oil change and check inflation at least
monthly. Still at under 30,000 miles, the tread is badly worn down
and I doubt if it would pass inspection.

So I would like suggestions on brands and things to look for.

Next question: Do extra ply tires wear better and what are other
advantages and disadvantages?

Is braking distance a factor in brands and extra ply?

All suggestions are appreciated, and thanks for reading.

Bob-tx

You might check out www.tirerack.com

They have lots of test reports covering wet and dry performance, tread
wear, noise, handling, etc., plus user reports. I've found the prices
to be competitive, too, even allowing for shipping and mounting fees.
But it's a good source of info even if you don't buy there.

Just a satisfied customer.

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Paul F.- Hide quoted text -

long life tires tend to have worse traction, I tend to never buy the
cheapest anything and go mid price for most stuff. cheap was built to
be cheap, high end to appeal to high end must have the best buyers.

mid price appears to serve me well

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It's hard to go wrong with Michelin unless you are on a limited budget.

I'm surprised you said that the GEneral tires didn't last; my experience
with them is that they wear like iron and have similar traction. There
is a BIG difference between different tires as to how fast you can
brake, and honestly, most Generals aren't that good.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

wrote:

[...]

with them is that they wear like iron and have similar traction. Â*There
is a BIG difference between different tires as to how fast you can
brake, and honestly, most Generals aren't that good.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

First off, if you live "up north" get REAL snow tires -- the ones with
the
"winter mark" of a snow flake and mountain on the side. Run those in
the winter and something else in the summer. They are unbelievably
better than all-weather.

Second, don't get the MIchelins. I have a set of Artic Alpins a while
back and they were horrid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A few sites have complete tire ratings of tread life, wet and dry
traction, etc etc, find a site and do your own comparisons.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Bob wrote:
I need new tires on a 2007 half ton (2 wheel drive) Chevy Silverado
pickup. The originals are General (Ugh) and have not lasted well.
I rotate tires every other oil change and check inflation at least
monthly. Still at under 30,000 miles, the tread is badly worn down
and I doubt if it would pass inspection.

So I would like suggestions on brands and things to look for.

Next question: Do extra ply tires wear better and what are other
advantages and disadvantages?

Is braking distance a factor in brands and extra ply?

Read half-dozen or so other replies so far...

Generally ( ), I'd say the ones w/ a specific brand recommendation or
warning against a particular brand (so far, there's one brand w/ both)
are the same as the proscriptions/recommendations commonly found here
for paint -- by brand alone it's almost impossible to correlate. ALL
major manufacturers build tires for a range of price and performance points.

As someone else noted, the OEM tires on light duty trucks are, in
general (there it is again ), based on initial cost and usually more
for ride than either traction or treadwear. 30k from an initial set
isn't too bad, probably. As a brand, General makes tires that are quite
serviceable as well.

What you need depends on how you use the vehicle. Unless you haul to
its rated capacity (doesn't sound like it), you don't need the
heavier-ply tires in all likelihood. A LT-rated tire should be used
however, rather than a passenger tire of the same physical size for the
load rating.

After that, look at the various ratings on the tires for wear, traction,
etc., to judge one relative to another. In tires as in many things,
there definitely is a correlation to the "you get what you pay for" saw...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Bob" wrote:
I need new tires on a 2007 half ton (2 wheel drive) Chevy Silverado
pickup. The originals are General (Ugh) and have not lasted well.
I rotate tires every other oil change and check inflation at least
monthly. Still at under 30,000 miles, the tread is badly worn down
and I doubt if it would pass inspection.

So I would like suggestions on brands and things to look for.

Don't bother researching the brand. It's pretty meaningless.
You need to look at individual models/sizes and how well
they work for your vehicle/climate/situation.

I've gotten the most best tires, best prices, best service
and best advice from my local Costco.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
I need new tires on a 2007 half ton (2 wheel drive) Chevy Silverado
pickup. The originals are General (Ugh) and have not lasted well.
I rotate tires every other oil change and check inflation at least
monthly. Still at under 30,000 miles, the tread is badly worn down
and I doubt if it would pass inspection.

So I would like suggestions on brands and things to look for.

Next question: Do extra ply tires wear better and what are other
advantages and disadvantages?

Is braking distance a factor in brands and extra ply?

All suggestions are appreciated, and thanks for reading.

Bob-tx

Before I spent a nickle on rubber, I'd find a shop that really understood
alignment and get a four wheel alignment done.

Best tires in the world arent going to last if the mechanicals (caster
camber
toe in or toe out) are not right.

Yes, I know its a twoi wheel drive ig. Four wheel alignment is a term
of art
WRT alignment that has nothing to do with how many axles / wheels are
diven.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Buying tires can be confusing. I worked at an engineering firm that
designed tires. Generally, you sacrifice one feature for another. A
new tire is better than any brand of an older tire. Decide what kind
of driving you do. I'd pick from the top 4 or 5 brands (USA or
Canada). I like treads that help prevent hydroplaning and don't need
off-road, ice/snow, run-flats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , jJim McLaughlin wrote:
Bob wrote:
I need new tires on a 2007 half ton (2 wheel drive) Chevy Silverado
pickup. The originals are General (Ugh) and have not lasted well.
I rotate tires every other oil change and check inflation at least
monthly. Still at under 30,000 miles, the tread is badly worn down
and I doubt if it would pass inspection.

So I would like suggestions on brands and things to look for.

Next question: Do extra ply tires wear better and what are other
advantages and disadvantages?

Is braking distance a factor in brands and extra ply?

All suggestions are appreciated, and thanks for reading.

Bob-tx

Before I spent a nickle on rubber, I'd find a shop that really understood
alignment and get a four wheel alignment done.

Poor alignment will wreck a set of tires in 10K or less.
Proper alignment *is* very important.

However, have the alignment done (immediately) *after*
the new tires are on the vehicle!

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Malcolm Hoar wrote:

Poor alignment will wreck a set of tires in 10K or less.
Proper alignment *is* very important.

However, have the alignment done (immediately) *after*
the new tires are on the vehicle!

That would be a very bad alignment, indeed...

A competent tire shop should be able to ascertain from the wear pattern
whether it is an alignment issue as opposed to, say, under- /
over-inflation or simply that the tire is of such design and the driving
patterns/road surface/etc. is about the expected lifetime. For an OEM
tire, 30k wouldn't be totally unexpected.

I fully agree on the timing of when alignment should be done--after,
not before (much easier to measure accurately w/ new tread edges for
those who may be wondering is one prime reason)...

Dry Rot On Spare Tire Jack Home Repair 6 April 23rd 07 02:52 PM
[OT] Canadian Tire Guy - New Ad! DC Woodworking 2 January 13th 06 09:46 PM
OT - Rotations of a low tire? Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 57 August 25th 05 04:27 AM
band saw tire darkon Woodworking 26 August 10th 05 04:51 PM
bandsaw tire Elrohir Woodworking 1 December 15th 04 11:30 PM